Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall idea - what do you think?? >

Design wall idea - what do you think??

Design wall idea - what do you think??

Old 08-10-2012, 04:17 AM

Question Design wall idea - what do you think??

I have a Q snap frame and really like it for hand quilting. Now I'm thinking about using some PVC pipe to create a design wall -- perhaps mounting brackets on the wall above my closet door to hold the pipe in place. Using the PVC pipe combo like that of the Q snap, hang a gridded design wall fabric on the pipe and then anchor the fabric at the bottom with another PVC pipe combo. Has anyone dtried this before? How did it work out? Any other suggestions?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 AM

I tried to make a small design wall out of PVC pipe once. The only problem I had was there was nothing to stabilize the middle section. Mine was going to be a stand alone wall so it really didn't work for me. Since you'd be hanging yours on a wall I think you could make it work.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

You might want to think about the size of PVC you would have to use to support the weight of a quilt and not have it sag in the middle. Another alternative would be a shower curtain rod or closet pole.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I think that there was one on www.sewmanyways.com blogspot? See if you can find it in the archives of that site.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:41 AM

Default This is what I did ;)

I made my design wall out of 1-1/2" insulation foam from Home Depot. Asked them to cut the sheets in half top to bottom, so I could store them stacked behind my door. Covered them with white flannel using super 77 spray glue. I just don't think the PVC is going to give you the regidity you will need
My sewing studio is upstairs so I prop my wall up at the end of my hallways so I can get a good look at my quilt as it grows during construction. This is very light weight and has served me well now for over a year
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 AM

I made mine similarly to what you describe only I used curtain rods. One on the top & one on the bottom to anchor. I LOVE it & love that I can take it down when needed. I also love that the curtain rods slide & are adjustable. I use a 40" width of fabric for small projects & have another width to add for big quilts. I used cafe type rods & those clip rings. Did I mention that I LOVE it?!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:08 AM

That is what I use. I love it because it is so light weight and portable - the 1 1/2 inch insulation board.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 AM

I have a friend who has a modular/portable design board made from PVC pipe and a flannel sheet, she brings it to retreats. The silly thing keeps falling apart/down. I hope you're able to engineer one that is stronger!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:54 AM

The best design wall is a sheet or two (4x8) depending on if you want to put up a whole quilt on it at one time - and cover it with flannel and lean it against the wall at a slight angle - so it stands against the wall - a friend of mine has done this and it works for any size quilting you care to do - she has done patchwork looking pillow tops, to king sized quilt - and it works so well, as if it sets right by your machine - you can take the blocks off the design wall in order that you want to sew them - no mess ups and accuracy each time - it gives you a great idea of how your quilt will look when sewn together and you can move it easily enough to have the right light shine on it for true color coordination... I just moved into a big house with huge rooms and plan to make one of these for my one wall - so basically I'm setting up a whole new sewing room with all the ideas I've acquired from many wonderful people on this site showing their sewingrooms or telling what they've done... good luck - have fun!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 AM

If I understand your goal, it was to put it up over a closet door, I plan to do that when I get a moment using a closet pole, and some heavy weight upholstry fabric for the back for weight. I have a lot of this stuff I got for next to nothing. I'm going to make it like a roman shade using the felt for the outside. I also thought I would make a gathered valance to go over that so when it's up, it looks neater.