Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall ideas Anyone? >

Design wall ideas Anyone?

Design wall ideas Anyone?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:58 PM

I use cardboard on my wall covered with flannel.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:20 PM

When I made mine, the guy at Home Depot recommended soundboard($9 a sheet) which is also what Eleanor uses on QIAD. Then I covered with flannel sheets and screwed them to the wall. Single blocks stay up ok, but rows of blocks require pins.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 PM

I just made mine the other day. Two sheets of 1/2" foam insulation (4'x8') from the home improvement store ($9.51 each). I cut 1 foot off the long ends because 1) we rent and I cant attach them to a wall and need them mobile without fighting against the ceiling height, 2) I dont have a blank wall large enough and have to "lean" them against the closet door/wall or my shelves. I bought flannel from JA's. Sewed a seam down the center and then covered them in that. After using my coupon at JA's I think total investment is approx $25.

I considered a sheet and the curtain methods, however sometimes my blocks are a little large and therefore heavy and if I have paper pieced a block and have not removed the paper yet, it will not stick. I like being able to just "stab" it instead of the in/out method of pinning. But a 1/2" inch is more than sufficient

My boards were not pink, just silver on one side and grey with blue writing on the other side. Also they had these bundles of Styrofoam that were 32sqft total coverage but in smaller pieces. I think a bundle was $10.50
Old 05-31-2015, 08:07 PM

I tape flannel to foam-core board.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:37 PM
RST

If you're watching cost, craft felt is often cheaper than flannel, and it comes wide enough that you don't have to seam it at all, even on an 8 foot stretch. Another alternative is to cover it with batting, taped or tacked to the the back.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 PM

I do the same as several have done. I went to the home improvement store and got 2 sheets of foam core board. I also picked up a can of spray adhesive. I used yardage felt and glued it to the front and wrapped it to the back of the boards. They were just the right height and so I was able to wedge them in between the floor and celliung. My DH then used 6 screws and fastened the corners and the middle to the wall. Did the middle because they were bowing out a little bit.

The foam core allowed me to use pins. The felt does hold the blocks, but when I get larger pieces, they tend to get heaver and not want to stay stuck to the wall. I also use it to pin fabric up flat when I am drying it after a heavy starching.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:17 PM

I'm redoing my quilt cave and including a barn door design wall, which means my current design wall (insulated foam board with flannel covering it) is up for grabs. I see that you're in Michigan; I'm in northwest Ohio. If you're in southern Michigan you are welcome to my design wall and all it will cost you is gas. PM me if you want it!

Lynda

PS I don't know how much the board was to make it since my husband picked it up for me, but it's been worth it's weight in gold!
Old 05-31-2015, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by ZugZug6279 View Post
I just made mine the other day. Two sheets of 1/2" foam insulation (4'x8') from the home improvement store ($9.51 each). I cut 1 foot off the long ends because 1) we rent and I cant attach them to a wall and need them mobile without fighting against the ceiling height, 2) I dont have a blank wall large enough and have to "lean" them against the closet door/wall or my shelves. I bought flannel from JA's. Sewed a seam down the center and then covered them in that. After using my coupon at JA's I think total investment is approx $25.

I considered a sheet and the curtain methods, however sometimes my blocks are a little large and therefore heavy and if I have paper pieced a block and have not removed the paper yet, it will not stick. I like being able to just "stab" it instead of the in/out method of pinning. But a 1/2" inch is more than sufficient

My boards were not pink, just silver on one side and grey with blue writing on the other side. Also they had these bundles of Styrofoam that were 32sqft total coverage but in smaller pieces. I think a bundle was $10.50
I sorta did similar. My insulation wasn't colored or silver. Bought at Home Depot. Used a friend and we used duct tape to make a 'joint hinge' between the two panels of insulation. The we put down cut plastic garbage bags to protect my garage floor and the insulation, sprayed adhesive on the insulation and covered it. I had batting available, but flannel, thin wale corduroy, or felt would work as well.

Yes the design wall had to lean against the wall til a friend came over and screwed in eye hooks about 2 ft below the top of the design wall. I then strung ribbon across the front of my design wall and tied it to the eye hooks.

Another friend and I used thin ribbon to mark off 12" square grid pattern across the wall.

I have the design wall folded most of the time but do fold it out to full size when needed.. Their hands work so much better than mine.

I love my friends
Old 06-01-2015, 02:30 AM

I just made a 6x8 foot design wall with 2 pink insulation boards at 14 dollars each from Home Depot. Cut one in half lengthwise with a box cutter. Then used wide black tape on the seam. I covered it with a flannel sheet I already had. Folded in to the back and used a regular house stapler. It is sitting on top of the baseboard and being held in place with a few push pins.
So mine cost 30 dollars.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:15 AM

I made one from an insulation board but it's too awkward trying to handle it. I don't have an empty wall to set it up permanently. I got yds of felt and tacked it to the front of shelves. works great and when I need to get something from the shelves I can just pull it back like curtain. I do have to use pins but that's ok.