Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall question >

Design wall question

Design wall question

Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 AM

I have my latest quilt hanging until I have another to replace it. I then with pins use it as my design wall. I have the bought ones but I like using pins. Just put them in straight its works great for me.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I started with felt, then flannel, and neither worked very well. They weren't sticky enough.

At one point, I started using Quilter's Dream batting in my quilts, fell in love with it, and haven't used W&N in a quilt since. I had some leftover W&N, pinned it to my design wall, and it works beautifully. It's very sticky, it will hold not just blocks, but entire rows, without pins.

I simply attached the batting to the wall with push pins. Easy to remove, easy enough to fix holes when it's time to move. I've never felt the need to have styrofoam.
I just bought some flannel which I pinned to the wall over my closet doors -- no available wall space -- and discovered quickly that it's not sticky enough, especially if the ceiling fan is on, ha!

I think batting would probably be much better.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:04 PM

I use the Command velcro tabs to hang my insulation boards. Using cotton batting. I just vacuum it when needed.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Joset View Post
i use a flannel backed vinyl table cloth on mine. and the fabric really stays on the flannel backing
I also use these inexpensive table cloths . I buy the largest size I can get on sale after the holidays are over, like Christmas and thanks giving, as they are a heavier brand, but I have also purchased from the dollar store. I just tape them up on my wall and so far they have worked great.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
....... I had some leftover W&N, pinned it to my design wall, and it works beautifully. It's very sticky, it will hold not just blocks, but entire rows, without pins.
This made me giggle, because this is exactly what i do....I have extra batting that i hang off some storage shelves in my basement.

And yes, it can hold entire rows w/out pins.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:33 PM

I used 2 4x8 sound boards from Home Depot. Because they are not very sturdy, my son build a frame with 1/2 x 2 inch pieces of wood. It is a rectangle around the edges with a large X across the middle. I think he screwed it on the back with screws. Then I covered them with very cheap batting from WalMart, which I stapled onto the framing. It is soft enough to just stick pins in and now I can lean them up against the wall and they have been there for years.
Attached Thumbnails img_0274.jpg