Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall >

Design Wall

Design Wall

Old 06-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Thank you all for the ideas on making your own design walls out of foam insulation board but I was wondering how you are all attaching it to your wall? Any suggestions or proven winners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :roll:
Old 06-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Google Goddess

I am also going to be making myself a design wall (I am going to lean it against the back of a big china cabinet.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM
MTS
Banned

You can just lean it against the wall (as my 3 are right now). I keep meaning to do something about it, but they work just fine like this.

My friend attached hers with velcro. Some strips on the wall with matching strips on the back. And press. Done.

If you want a more permanent solution attaching it to the wall, you could just screw it. But I would first glue a slat to the back near the top, and then put the screw thought that into the wall. If you don't put in the slat (or some sort of stabilizer), it's possible the screw will maybe crack the board, or it might work itself out through the top of the board. YMMV.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM

I want mine to be movable. That way, if I rearrange my sewing room, I can move my design wall accordingly. Also, If you have two 4x8 pieces, you can put one behind the other when you don't need the large design wall. More flexability.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:12 PM

Command makes some nifty picture hanging things that would work really well for a design wall. They're kind of like two "hook" sides of velcro that stick together and have Command sticky tabs on them. I have used them to hang several things and to keep the cat from banging the cupboard doors and waking me up.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
RST

Mine has 4 screw into the wall. We used large metal washers to keep the screws from biting into the foam. If it was a snug fit from floor to ceiling, you could probably just wedge it in there.

The problem with the velcro technique is the adhesives on velcro do break down over time, accelerated by heat. You might get a couple of years out of it in a cool climate, and if that's all you want, you're good to go.

RST
Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 PM

Mine is 2 sheets of insulation. My DSIL built a frame out of 2x2's to support the insulation and hold the 2 sheets together. He then screwed through the 2x2's into the studs in the wall (there are 4 screws). It has been up 10 years -- he thought he would have to replace the insulation but it has held up real well (even though I frequently put pins in it).
Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 PM

I keep mine up with Command strips. At firs,t I just leaned them against the wall, but if you have lot of blocks on the design wall the boards will come forward with the weight and all your blocks end up on the floor. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by RST
Mine has 4 screw into the wall. We used large metal washers to keep the screws from biting into the foam. If it was a snug fit from floor to ceiling, you could probably just wedge it in there.

The problem with the velcro technique is the adhesives on velcro do break down over time, accelerated by heat. You might get a couple of years out of it in a cool climate, and if that's all you want, you're good to go.

RST
Command strips. Not sticky backed velcro. Two different things for different purposes. Command strips are meant to stick things to the wall.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM
RST

Someone above you suggested velcro. Which I have used to stick things to a smooth wall or wooden closet door -- with good results, until the heat of summer breaks down the adhesives.

Command strips would seem ideal for the application. Except that my 8 x 8 foot board has the felt fabric wrap around to the back side, attached with vast quantities of hot glue, and that whole mess is best held up with screws and not elegant little 3M products.