Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Walls >

Design Walls

Design Walls

Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM

I also purchased a sheet of builders insulation which is 3/4" thick and very light weight. They had a piece that was damaged on one end so got it for half price three years ago. Covered it with a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth - just wrapped it around the corners and stapled. I just lean mine up against the wall when using as I sew in a guest room. When guests come, I just stand it up in the closet out of sight. I did mark mine into 2" grids on the flannel for watercolor squares and it works great.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:25 AM

If you don't require a large one and are pressed for space use the inside of the door leading into your room. I tacked a piece of flannel the size of the door and use it. Serves the purpose well.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:25 PM

When someone said they used the back of a table cloth I didn't realize how well it would work. I was amazed that the material stuck to it. I've got one up in my quilting room now and when I have guests and it turns back into my spare bedroom it comes right down. And I also used old sewing machine needles to put it up. You guys have such great ideas.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM

My husband hung 2 4x8 sheets for me after I covered them with flannel. The flannel material cost more than the insulation. LOL He screwed them to the wall and after a year, I am still happy with the wall. Blocks stick just fine, and I use straight pins for a quilt. Good Luck. Marylou
Old 09-03-2009, 06:18 PM

I use a large foiled insulating foam board which I hot glued cotton batting to. I punched two holes at top on either side and hung it with plastic ties to one of the pipes in the basement ceiling.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:36 PM

I used flannel. I had room for 3 widths, which I serged together. I bought a cheap curtain rod and used cafe clips to attach the flannel. I took it down when I went to class. Just folded the flannel with all my pieces pinned because when moving I didn't want them to float away. I should have prewashed the flannel because I'm getting balls of flannel fuzz on my pieces.
The advantage is it is very large and cheap.