Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Designing Patterns >

Designing Patterns

Designing Patterns

Old 10-06-2011, 03:40 PM

I was just wondering if any of you talented quilters have ever marketed and sold quilt patterns that you have designed? I would love to do that someday but it seems so daunting. Where would you even begin. Just curious...

I can't seem to turn my brain off any more and everything I see looks like it would make a marvelous quilt pattern. I think I have a sickness... might as well try to put it to use. LOL
Old 10-06-2011, 03:53 PM

There aer quite a few talented ladies here on the board that have created patterns and sold them. :) I am sure they will have great suggestions for you!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I usually approach my local quilt shop owner and ask if she'd carry some of mine if I make a sample for her to sell them. Works for me as I'm not particularly interested in a big job.

There is more to marketing your pattern than just the design work. You will need to test the pattern, either on your own or by having a friend, guild member, or another person make the quilt by the instructions you've written.
If your pattern sells in the shop for, say, $8, you'll be selling it to them for $4 or even less.
If there is a middle man seller to the shops (catalog company?), you'll be selling for even less.
Remember you have to print the pattern, put it in an envelope, and have a color photo of the finished product on the front.

There really are very few who are making much money at this. It's much more a "passion" thing to do. :-)

Jan in VA
Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 PM

I sure would be interested in this topic too. I hope lots of people share their wisdom and expertise here.