Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: designing your own pattern.

Blog Entries

designing your own pattern.

First let me apologize for my typos now, I am typing this on my phone but I have an immediate question, that cannot wait. You know what it is like when you have ideas floating in your head.
    How do you go about designing fabric? is it something you can do on a one time basis ? my sons quilt ( yes the same one tnat i have posted about endless times) i was thinking of havinghis school logo on the back. how do i go about doing this ?
    Thanks everyone..

Do you have a school tee shirt that you could use as part of your backing?

I made a fabric photo frame for my granddaughter when she graduated high school. I went to the school web site and copied the logo and printed it on to fabric with my ink jet printer and then stitched the fabric piece onto the frame.
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

For a one time piece of fabric you can buy your fabric such as muslin or a light colored solid, then sketch out your motif. In your case, your son's school logo. Color the logo in with the fabric coloring paint or pen of your choice - there are many excellent ones out there and several threads about them. Repeat the logo until you have your fabric covered. When you are making your own you can make that logo as large as you want and the spacing between as large as you want. You can have one only on the back of the quilt, or you can have one that is 20"x20" with 2" spacing for the length of the fabric.Whatever you design. Only you know what you want the finished fabric to look like. The sample logo is the hardest. After that all the others are simply repeating what you have already done before, exactly like making blocks for the quilt top.

Power Poster
    If it was for 1 quilt, I would find a way to either appliqué it or print it as others have mentioned. I know that Spoonflower? will make you custom fabric but it can be pricey.

Blog Entries
    I emailed Iowa State to ask if I could copy their logo for my grandson's quilt. They said yes and asked me to send a picture when it's finished. I printed and make copies of the different logos, enlarged, fused and am now sewing around each logo and my grandson's name. I hope I finished by June 1, I have two trips planned during this time also.

Applique or maybe even embroidery!

this might be a place to try for really designing your own fabric: http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/new?create=fabric at $15.75 a yard, it just might be worth it to get something you really want. can't beat that, huh! no affiliation, and i have never used the service.
    "perfection is the enemy of done."
    "the secret to having it all is knowing you already do."