Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Designs for hand quilting >

Designs for hand quilting

Designs for hand quilting

Old 10-31-2015, 05:34 AM

Default Designs for hand quilting

To all hand quilters out there....what is your favorite design when hand quilting? I have not done anything elaborate yet; no feathers or swirls. I don't like the process of marking the top for quilting because I never know what to quilt. Mostly I have done crosshatch or outline. I am using a stencil now on a quilt that I have had in the hoop for years and occasionally put some more quilting on it. Determined to get it done and free up the hoop for something else. LOL
Old 10-31-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I have just done crosshatching.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 AM

I use templates and mark mine. We have lots of templates to choose from at my quilt group.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I very often make my own. I recently made a Tumbler that I named "Iced Tea Anyone?". I went online and found a picture of a pitcher, and a slice of lemon. I just put them all over the main body of the quilt. I had a blast doing that. I made another quilt that the colors reminded me of the tropics. I put dolphins in the main body, and waves on the edges. I just use white chalk for marking because it brushes off easily.
Attached Thumbnails iced-tea-anyone-close.jpg   tropical-nights-progress-1.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I've been practicing and I made couple of my own. I use a piece of felt to brush off the chalk. Old piece of wool works also.
Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I very often make my own. I recently made a Tumbler that I named "Iced Tea Anyone?". I went online and found a picture of a pitcher, and a slice of lemon. I just put them all over the main body of the quilt. I had a blast doing that. I made another quilt that the colors reminded me of the tropics. I put dolphins in the main body, and waves on the edges. I just use white chalk for marking because it brushes off easily.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Lands, I own enough stencils to open my own stencil store, just love the darn things! Most I have used at some time or other, in blocks, in sashings, in borders. I NEVER stitch-in-the-ditch -- am working too hard when I hand quilt NOT to have it show up, for sure! The hand stitching is part of the design in the quilt, in my opinion and different ones in a quilt improve its appearance.

Here's what I mean:

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails floral-pinwheel-big-stitch.jpg  
Old 11-01-2015, 03:18 PM

I use stencils and make the quilts in a water soluble pen or air soluble if it is a small design that I can stitch quickly. I enjoy hand quilting. Machine quilting is beautiful but I like tha hand quilted look especially when I am using 30's prints.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:32 PM

I, too, use stencils, and the quilt itself seems to speak for itself for what stencil(s) to use. One I just finished this week has hearts in the outside border, sid in second border, swirls in inner border,and meander and hummingbirds in the body of the quilt. I'm working on the binding now, and will post pictures as soon as it's complete.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

I love feathers, straight, heart, circle, or square. Love them best.

I also use images off the net. I did one with anchors, dolphins, sand castles, and compasses.

I'll use any line design I can find. I'll trace it onto cardboard, and trace around with the disappearing blue or chalk. it's a lot of fun to hand quilt and add other designs to the quilt

Last edited by lynnie; 11-01-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 PM

i have a few plastic templates that i bought many years ago when i first started quilting. but now i just make my own templates or just freestyle as i work. the quilt pattern often sorta decrees what the quilting will be. i'm also thinking about & planning the quilting as the quilt top is pieced. i use white chalk to mark, rubs off easily. the templates i make are often designs i've taken from books i have on vintage or historic quilt patterns from the british isles. ideas also come from books of antique quilts. i did a wall quilt a few years ago that i used a photograph out of a book article about colonial times & using headstone rubbings for their quilting designs. the recipient told me recently that when her quilting friends come over for their group meets the quilt is always taken down again & passed around. she is british national living in holland and she really enjoyed my north england motifs and tulips that i quilted into the quilt.

Last edited by roguequilter; 11-01-2015 at 08:01 PM.