Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Destashing >

Destashing

Destashing

Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Dear Quilting Sisters,
As much as I love your destashing sales, I feel I must warn you. Fabric is at an all time high cost and will only go higher. LQS's are saying new invoices are $15 and up per yd. I think we need to be keeping all the fabric we can unless, of course, you have unlimited funds.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

OOOh, just what I need! An excuse to run out & buy more at currrent prices!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reminder! I was getting overwhelmed with the number of quilt kits I have made up and not started yet. Now I will just allow them to be here and not buy anything new when the prices are so high.......Think of the savings!!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 AM

I love my quilting, but don't think that I would ever give $15.00 a yard.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 AM

Ouch!!!! I've never felt the need to de-stash, thank heavens! I can go shopping in my sewing room and find things I had completely forgotten.... they're new to me. :-)
Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 AM

De-stash...that word is not in my vocabulary! I went shopping yesterday, looking for a border fabric for a mystery BOM I am working on, and bought fabric at Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, Joanns and a local LQS. Had a 40% coupon at Hancock's, a 50% coupon at Joanns, a 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby and my coupon book was full for the LQS so got two yards of beautiful batik for just $2.24, the tax. Good shopping day!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 AM

When fabric get too expensive we will just have to trade with each other for what we need. I'm in good shape stashwise. I can make quilts for years on what I have. Especially since I do scrap quilts. Just bought backings for at least 5 quilts. And I have UFOs to finish.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:58 AM
np3
Power Poster

I appreciate the concerns over prices going up, but here is my take on de-stashing. I have fabrics that I buy because I love them. Then I can find nothing that I like to go with them. Or I buy a cute children's print and no longer have anyone of that age to make anything for. I don't do scrappy. But I can't stand to throw the pieces away. So I store it and it gets enjoyed by no one unless it is a day when I just pull things out to touch them. Now that I have retired, I am being more realistic about what I will use and what will still be here when my home becomes my estate.

So I sell off the pieces that I know I won't be using, even though I still love them, in the hopes that they will give someone else joy. I am doing the same with patterns.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM

I am headed to Maine in two weeks for vacation and plan on stimulating the local quilt ecomony!!! Same for Boston and Mystic CT.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I am headed to Maine in two weeks for vacation and plan on stimulating the local quilt ecomony!!! Same for Boston and Mystic CT.
Love it! Have fun.