Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Destiny owners question >
  • Destiny owners question

• Destiny owners question

Old 10-23-2015, 03:27 AM

Default Destiny owners question

I am getting a Destiny and so very excited. I was going to buy a good surge protector before she arrived, and in my online research one person who owns a different model of Babyock Emboridery/sewing machine said that her manual says not to use a surge protector with it. Does the Destiny also say that?
    Old 10-23-2015, 04:11 AM

Hi , cheryl1222. I have my Destiny owners manual in front of me. I do not see any notation or instructions stating NOT to use a surge protector. This one person may have had misinformation, or did not really read the manual, just went off with what someone may have told them. Were there other reviews with the same statements?
    I have mine on a surge protector (the kind with 4 plugs and a switch to turn it on-off) and the outlet where it is plugged into also has a surge protector installed, by an eletriction, when we were building our house. I had all the outlets in my sewing room done that way to protect my equipment. Personally, I use them since I have spent many thousands of dollars on my machines and supples. Small investment for the security. I still unplug all my machines when there is a storm or I leave for a period of time, as instructed in the manual.
    If you are still unsure, you can contact Baby Lock customer service, they are most helpful.
    There is a sub note in the manual about using extension cords, I did check with Baby Lock when I got my Destiny about the use of the on/off style of extention cord. I was told that it was at my own risk. Brother also stated that when I inquired when I had my Quattro. I got the highest rated (electric wise, not customer rated), as used for tv's, computers, etc. not the style used for lamps and such.

Last edited by Bneighbor; 10-23-2015 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Additional information
    Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 AM

Mine is on a surge protector...
    Old 10-23-2015, 05:18 AM
    Power Poster

Make sure that you buy a well known surge such as Belkin. Their surge protectors are the best (best friend is a Geek) and they protect both my computer and Bernina.
    Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 AM

I have BOTH my Destiny and my Pfaff Creative Sensation plugged into a battery backup that is also a surge protector, as are my PC and laptop...Not cheap, but then neither were these machines........power surges can occur, as can brown-outs during heavy usage in the summer..........not worth taking a chance on my computers and my sewing machines...