Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DH approved a Longarm-Now what? >

DH approved a Longarm-Now what?

DH approved a Longarm-Now what?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Yahoo my DH said he would take me to Kansas to look at the quilting machines - I'm so excited. For those of you who have been at a show or are going - should I bring a note book to enter notes at each vendor? or do they give you a bunch of stuff I can refer back to later. I don't think I'll be able to remember what each machine comes with, price etc. What are your thoughts? Now is I could only win the lottery between now and then.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i have the tin lizzie with the stitch regulator and bought it because of the price. i'm very happy with it. BUT if price had been no object i would have gotten something more expensive, like the gammill. they're really not in the same ballpark. and to go one further, i'd get the computerized one. in for a penny, in for a pound. there are many times when i just want to get the quilt done and not be the one who 'does' it. then the machine can do it for me and better.

p.s. the wood frame on the lizzie is very strong and very stable. and very good looking. if you have it up in your living area, or a spare bedroom, you want it to be nice looking. the metal frames vibrate too much, imo.
Yah, what Butterfulywing said!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by quilter girl
Yahoo my DH said he would take me to Kansas to look at the quilting machines - I'm so excited. For those of you who have been at a show or are going - should I bring a note book to enter notes at each vendor? or do they give you a bunch of stuff I can refer back to later. I don't think I'll be able to remember what each machine comes with, price etc. What are your thoughts? Now is I could only win the lottery between now and then.
definitely bring a notepad. you'll never remember who said what. the info in the booklets is often vague. ask if the quilter comes with cd instructions as well as a manual. also ask what extras the sales rep will throw in, like no tax or free shipping or extra bobbins and needles. the booklets all sound the same, so ask very detailed questions like 'is there phone help in the evenings?', 'if something is wrong or damaged in shipping, who pays the return shipping?', 'does the company make extras that i might want in the future?', 'can i add a computer later?', like that. don't be shy. also tell them what else you're looking at, so they know what they're competing against. don't keep secrets.

they'll say thing like this: the base price is $$$ without the xxx, but you really should get it because yyy. if you prefer to go without the xxx you can do it manually for the additional price of $$, but you would have to do it this way..... . i'm exaggerating, but that's what it feels like at the time. there's a lot to remember.

good luck. i know you'll find the right one for you. just don't hurry the looking process.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:10 AM

Do you wanna go with me? Such great tips! Thanks a bunch!
Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by quilter girl
definitely bring a notepad. you'll never remember who said what. the info in the booklets is often vague. ask if the quilter comes with cd instructions as well as a manual. also ask what extras the sales rep will throw in, like no tax or free shipping or extra bobbins and needles. the booklets all sound the same, so ask very detailed questions like 'is there phone help in the evenings?', 'if something is wrong or damaged in shipping, who pays the return shipping?', 'does the company make extras that i might want in the future?', 'can i add a computer later?', like that. don't be shy. also tell them what else you're looking at, so they know what they're competing against. don't keep secrets.

they'll say thing like this: the base price is $$$ without the xxx, but you really should get it because yyy. if you prefer to go without the xxx you can do it manually for the additional price of $$, but you would have to do it this way..... . i'm exaggerating, but that's what it feels like at the time. there's a lot to remember.

good luck. i know you'll find the right one for you. just don't hurry the looking process.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by amma
LMBO I bet DH is happy to hear that :wink: :D:D:D
What a sweetie!!! Happy Shopping!!!
lol happy shopping.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Trying to decide on which LA to purchase. What is the difference between the quality of the HQ Avante and a Gammill, Tin Lizzie or Voyager. I see some prefer one make over the other but why? I know Gammills are much more expensive but other than the larger size are there any other 'bells and whistles' that I shoudl consider? I guess I am looking for more specifics as to why some have favorites over other brands.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM

I agree completely. We love ours with all the bells and whistles. But, mostly so I can dream up my own designs and easily quilt them out. I just took one of the large flowers from a Kaffe Fassett fabric, and made it into a design to quilt out along a border. None of the machines allowed you to do that easily. Its a winner...we should start a club.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Google Goddess

have you decided yet what to buy?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Google Goddess

are you going to the quilt show in Columbus, Ohio this month????