Hello all -
We're not very adventurous after we've put a lot of time, money and effort into a quilt, but we finally got brave and tried the diagonal pieced back method. I had to go to a couple of different websites to make sure I was doing everything correctly, but I am so glad we tried this method!
The formula indicated I needed 2 yards of fabric, including lots of "fudge factor" that I built in to make sure I didn't mess up the back. I was sweating bullets while I cut it, but when we laid it out on the floor and started sliding those triangles it was like magic. I sewed them together and cut off the waste, and had to measure it 2 or 3 times to make sure it really was that easy.
The only thing I would do differently is to starch the area where I'm going to make the cut, and try to figure a way to get more of the fabric on the table so I don't have to move it so much while making the cut. I didn't get a perfect straight cut, but I think the quilting will hide any imperfections in the seam.
I got this one quilted tonight, but it isn't bound. I hope to have the full quilt posted tomorrow night.
BTW - here are the websites I used for reference:
With the busy back, you can hardly see the seam.
This is all of the waste.