Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diamond lattice trouble >

Diamond lattice trouble

Diamond lattice trouble

Old 03-08-2015, 08:58 AM

Default Diamond lattice trouble

I am attempting to sew a diamond lattice quilt like this: http://www.lindafranz.com/blog/jane-austen-quilt/

I have made numerous attempts over the past year, trying some versions with little diamonds in each corner of the lattice, some without the diamond corners. I have tried every logical way I can think of to sew this diamond lattice, have used 45 degree diamonds as well as 60 degree diamonds in case that made a difference.

No matter what I do, how much I measure, pin etc etc, I get lots of bunching and wobbling along the lattice. It's just too much for my taste as it looks like careless sewing.

Is there a technique that I might not have encountered online or thought of myself to get this lattice to lie flat?

Thank you for any ideas!

Lainey
Old 03-08-2015, 10:15 AM

It sounds like you are having bias edge issues. Some solutions are starch starch starch until the piece is quite stiff....(i make my own starch with 1/2 liquid starch and 1/2 water in a spritzer bottle)......use washable glue dabs to "baste" the pieces together AND overly pin the parts to keep them from moving.....use a walking foot to help you not stretch the fabric.
Maybe this is not the problem....but that was my first thought RE: the problem.
GOOD LUCK !! it's a beautiful pattern so i hope you find the right solution.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:51 AM

I've quilted for a while but never used starch - will the bias edges stretch after I wash the quilt once it's sewn? Or once you sew it they stay flat?

Lainey
Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 AM

Starch BEFORE you cut. If you starch after you cut, you run the risk of shrinking your pieces, and then they won't fit anymore. I learned that one the hard way.

The bias edges, once sewn, won't stretch. The sewing and quilting will prevent that.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:46 AM

Thats when I start hand piecing!
Old 03-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I usually revert to PP when dealing with bias edges. Print out your diamond shape and using the glue stick lightly to attach the paper to the wrong side of the fabric. Cut your diamond. If your seams are accurate, everything should match up. If you are the width of a pin off, your seam allowances will be off. Diamonds require absolute perfection. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Agree -- heavy starch the fabric before you cut. A half-and-half solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water works well. I "paint" this solution onto yardage, allow a couple of minutes for the fibers to absorb the starch, then toss in dryer and iron with steam. Starch stabilizes the fabric so bias edges are less likely to distort from handling; however, you still need to be careful with how you handle those edges. I would starch the sashing fabric as well as the fabric that will be cut into diamonds. Incidentally, starch also helps with machine quilting to prevent unwanted tucks and puckers, especially if you starch the backing fabric as well as the top.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:07 PM

I have the Jane Austen book and they did it in squares set on point rather than diamonds. It still gives the effect but would be much easier.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:46 PM

Maybe this might help.

http://www.favequilts.com/Quilts-For...from-Accuquilt

Jane
Old 03-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Everyone has been extremely helpful, thank you all. I got some starch today and have managed to make one strip of diamonds with lattice. It sure is flat. Basically acting like paper.

I'm still not sure what will happen as I sew one strip to the next as the bias ribboning seems to accumulate as I sew more and more strips. But here's hoping...

Lainey