Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: did I do the math right?

I want to make a scrappy fence rail quilt... queen size... approx 86"x93"

my blocks will be 8" square... no borders on finished quilt....

so that would be 11 squares across = 88" and 12 squares down = 94"... am I correct so far....

each block will have 4 strips... so I will need a total of....
    11*12=132 squares
    132*4 strips per square = 528 strips????

Is that right? ahhh that is a lot... I got about 50 or so cut now heh... want to cut all before I start then just pull random from the stack for making the blocks, then pull blocks randomly for making the quilt top

so did I do that math correctly?

The math looks good to me :)

Blog Entries
    i would say that's right

I was scared of that LOL

Thanks for checking, think I need to go to the other room and cut some more strips. looks like I will be cutting into some yardage (why is it I hate to cut into a larger piece of fabric)

8x12=96, otherwise the math is fine. You are making your strips 2.5" x 8.5"? Usually a rail fence is done with a set color scheme, so you don't pull fabrics randomly, but it can be made scrappy as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

Blog Entries
    Just make sure you account for the seam allowance of your strips because all of your math is based on a "finished" 8" block. Each strip would need to be 2.5" x 8.5"

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    8x12=96, otherwise the math is fine. You are making your strips 2.5" x 8.5"? Usually a rail fence is done with a set color scheme, so you don't pull fabrics randomly, but it can be made scrappy as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.
    Why 8 x 12? It's 11 rows by 12 rows...?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    Why 8 x 12? It's 11 rows by 12 rows...?
    The block finishes at 8 in, and she has 12 rows, so the quilt will measure 88 X 96, not 94

12 8" squares down will make the length 96", right?

oops thanks for the correction on the math there (yes should be 8x12=96")

Yes I am cutting them 2.5 x 8.5 allowing for the 1/4" seam allowance (I have been reading a lot here before I started cutting for this)

I have looked at a lot of fence rails, and noticed they tend to have set color blocks, but I prefer scrappy... so I thought, why not use the design, but just do random strips... so.. I am :)

(don't tell the quilt police, they might come and scowl at me and my scrappy fence rail)

I will post pics once I start sewing, for now, it is just cutting... got a little over 80 strips so far... whew lots and lots of cutting... thank god for the rotary cutter, but I think I need to change the blade.. skipping a lot (trying to make it last as long as I could). I tried that tip cutting the foil, did not help mine, still skipping. ah well... do as much as I can, and can always use scissors if I need to

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast