Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did i mess up-bought a Cricut -quiltting???? >

Did i mess up-bought a Cricut -quiltting????

Did i mess up-bought a Cricut -quiltting????

Old 02-06-2011, 09:31 AM

My friend told me to get a Cricut to use to make quilts, now i am not so sure that was a good investment, does any one else use one for quilting ?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 AM

I bought one too - in order to cute appliques but cannot get it to cut fabric.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 AM

i did see some ideas on that on utube
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 AM

I thought the Cricut was not intended for fabric. Could be wrong but I have only seen and heard of them being used for scrapbooking and paper related projects.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

My cousin has the top of the line model Cricut, I think there are several models. She can only cut fabric that has been been fused to backing. She uses Heat and Bond light. It will cut one fabric piece at a time. She uses it for scrapbooking and poster making and seldom cuts fabric pieces unless it's for decoration for one of her grandbaby's outfits.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 AM

I ironed mine to heat and bond but it still has a hard time, it peels up the paper when making tight cuts - it is sad I spend so much $$ on it - and I cannot get it to do what I wanted. I really wanted to make monograms using it.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My cousin has the top of the line model Cricut, I think there are several models. She can only cut fabric that has been been fused to backing. She uses Heat and Bond light. It will cut one fabric piece at a time. She uses it for scrapbooking and poster making and seldom cuts fabric pieces unless it's for decoration for one of her grandbaby's outfits.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 AM

i hate when our toys dont want to play nice
Old 02-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I ironed mine to heat and bond but it still has a hard time, it peels up the paper when making tight cuts - it is sad I spend so much $$ on it - and I cannot get it to do what I wanted. I really wanted to make monograms using it.
I aslo tried mine cricut for fabric. I have watched all the videos on utube but I still cannot get it to cut it. I am thinking now to try freezer paper on one side and heat and bond on the other. :?:
Old 02-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fidgety
Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I aslo tried mine cricut for fabric. I have watched all the videos on utube but I still cannot get it to cut it. I am thinking now to try freezer paper on one side and heat and bond on the other. :?:
Don't forget to turn up the pressure or tension on the cricut to help cut thru the fabric and heat and bond - that will make alot of difference and keep from having ragged edges on the sharp corners or cuts.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 02-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

you have to slow down the speed, too ~ I originally had the personal Cricut, and used that, I got the Expressions (big one) for Christmas, and have used it too. Makes great big letters. You can use either the Lite or Ultra Heat-n-bond... it does not work well at all when you use Wonder Under (I've tried them all). The lite spray starch on top of it all helps, too. Slow down the speed to the slowest setting, make sure you have a sharp blade, and that your blade depth is on at least 3-4 (5) for heavier fabrics) but quilting cottons I use 4 for my pressure. I use it all the time, but it does dull the blades (I think its the glue that dulls it)