Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I pay too much? >

Did I pay too much?

Did I pay too much?

Old 03-23-2015, 08:13 PM

Default Did I pay too much?

Hi, All,

Pricing in regards to sewing machines always befuddles me--different models, machines from different brands that are actually the same machine but priced differently, internet prices versus LQS prices, machines that are the same make and model but are different and, therefore, differently priced....aaah! So much mystery! I want to give my money to my local shops, but I always leave wishing everything had been more transparent.

I have been in the market for a no-fuss, lightweight machine for travel and classes. I found one--a Janome MyStyle 100--and I think I'm really going to like it. I traded in an older, defunct machine, which defrayed some of the cost of the new MyStyle, and I ended up paying $249. The woman at the store told me that the Janome MyStyle was typically priced at $449 and that their standard was a two hundred dollar discount for trade-ins. Great, right? However, when I went to the Janome website, it listed the MyStyle's MSRP at $349. I brought this up to the woman at the store, thinking that I might be on the verge of a smoking hot deal if I could get $200 off a machine that's normally $349. She said the machine on the website must have had fewer functions than the one I was buying. I didn't push her--after all, I was still getting a good deal.

When I got home, I double-checked my new machine with the description on the website and, sure enough, they're exactly the same machine. You could argue that, at $249, I still got a great discount, but I'm uncomfortable with the discrepancy and I'm wondering if maybe I got swindled. I called a couple of other Janome dealers in my area, but they didn't have the MyStyle.

I know the good folks at those stores need to make their money too--and that they have a lot of competition, especially with the internet. I'm really not trying to be greedy. I just want to understand. Are there good reasons for a store to price a machine a hundred dollars over the manufacturer website's MSRP? Should I have pushed her more on the price, even though I was still getting a discount? What would you all have done?

Finally, am I the only one who finds pricing in regards to sewing machines unnecessarily secretive and complex? (This is not really a rhetorical question--I'm perfectly willing to admit that it really might be all in my head!)

Thank you all so much--in advance and in appreciation for all the wonderful tips and advice you dole out to this community!

Best,
A
Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 PM

I agree with you; pricing is secretive and complex. I find it odd that sewing machines are treated like cars when it comes to pricing.

I had dealt with the only Janome dealer in my area for a number of years and wanted to upgrade to a Janome 8900. I found their price was $900 more than anywhere else. I ultimately bought it from a dealer in another city who was having a show special. What's interesting is that the show the special was in conjunction with wasn't anywhere near the shop. It was baffling, but I was happy to take advantage of their pricing, and they in fact did become my dealer because they are way better than my local dealer in every way - service, instruction, friendliness, cleanliness, and price.

What surprises me about your situation is that there would be such a big difference on a machine that price and that the dealer must have realized that you could easily find out the MSRP.

I have found there are times where I like who I'm dealing with enough that price is not my main consideration. For example, with the dealer I ended up purchasing from, they are so much nicer in so many ways that I will purchase from them in the future even if their price is a bit higher.

Lynda
Old 03-23-2015, 08:41 PM

You got a good machine at a decent price, I'd say. Not outstanding, but fair. The dealers have to make money because they have the overhead, but they also offer customer service, classes, and sometimes a year of free maintenance which you don't get with the online purchases. If you spent less than $249 online, for example, on a machine that needs a tune -up or cleaning or minor repair in a year or two, that's another $50-100 depending on the shop . So you will end up spending it sometime or another.

I don't know why all the secrecy. I don't like to pit one dealer against another, nor play the haggle game when i just really don't know what kind of wiggle room they have . It's honestly preventing me from getting more serious about a big Janome I want . I want them to like me as a loyal customer, but I also want the best price and feel good about the service relationship too, without going inconveniently far .

If I feel the seller/dealer of anything is withholding their best price when I'm ready to buy, I halt. If they try to upsell me too much, it's a turn-off. If they badmouth another dealer, I don't appreciate that either. It would make things easier if the dealer's sticker prices were a lot closer to the selling price, just a smidge higher than online, huh? That would tell me they've got room to move and still make a profit, and I won't feel gouged.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 PM

I once questioned the price when something was more than MSRP and was told it's only a suggestion, stores can price it differently. Maybe the higher price is to allow for the discount. Kind of the way many retail stores price higher so they can put things on sale at whatever % off.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 PM

It is hard. I think service/support is very important. Last year I had a choice between Janome & Bernina. Both dealers in town. Spent a month trying both & checking online. Then found out the Janome dealer was selling & wouldn't do a trade-in. She also bad mouthed the new owner of her fabric shop to Janome and the dealer is now 1-1/2 hr away. Bernina ended up $150 more to start but service is in town. I'm still learning what my Bernina can do but I am enjoying it even through I could have gotten something less pricy online. Sorry I rambled on. Can you get the service & questions answered where you purchased? That is probably worth the difference in price.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:01 AM

I would also take into consideration the amount you were given for your trade in. Some stores are more generous with that than others. My dealer doesn't even take trade ins.
Also consider that you got rid of a machine that you no longer wanted without having to sell it yourself and got a new machine at a price that you were comfortable paying. Hopefully you also now have a good dealer that you can feel comfortable asking questions and maybe getting some extra lessons from.
Enjoy your new machine.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:11 AM

Paying cash is king. No trade in. You were happy with the price now get sewing.
sandy
Old 03-24-2015, 03:29 AM

Wow, this thread is enlightening. It all sounds like mattress shopping which I hate.

I only have 3 machines, all vintage. One I bought new in the 1980's at Sears for a hundred bucks, one was my Mom's and one is from Craigslist. Makes me feel blessed that I was spared the retail shopping experience.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

You got a good deal. Maybe not the lowest price but a good value.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:59 AM

I bought a new Bernina B530 about fifteen months ago from a dealer that handled many brands of machines. It was priced for a sale. It was a floor model and there was a trade in discount. I said I did not want to trade in my Bernina 1130. The sales person consulted with the owner (sounds like a car deal!). They agreed to give the same price and I kept my old machine. This was great because I did not want to purchase all of the feet again. Of course, the feet from the 1130 do not fit the B530. I think it is called 'marketing'. The price on the new feet were more than double what I had paid for the feet on the 1130. I did buy a maintenance agreement for two years because it was less than two checks for an independent service person. I think the price structuring is not meant to be user r=friendly and you must do your homework and decide what is important to you. Dealers are not in business to do you favors; they are interested in the biggest bottom line possible. I am always ready to 'walk away'.