Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did quilt cotton fabric get thinner? >

Did quilt cotton fabric get thinner?

Did quilt cotton fabric get thinner?

Old 02-06-2015, 03:31 PM

Depends. I've been told that online may not be the same quality as your local quilt store. But I do know that JoAnn's name brand fabric is NOT as good as what's in the LQS. So Yes, it might not be the same quality.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:43 PM

WHen I pull some of the older fabrics out of my stash they are definately thicker than my newer fabric.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:55 PM

I totally agree. I had a quilt shop in 98 & 99 and I remember a nothcott fabric that I had felt very much like sateen that is popular today. Of course all I have left of it was 1/2 yard at the close of the shop, I was sad. Yes I pet my fabric too.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I have noticed a difference too. I got out a BOM I bought in 2008 and started making it, its Moda fabric, and there is a big difference! I don't think some fabrics are as wide as they used to be either. All my fabrics were bought at Quilt Shops.
the selvedges are wider, ergo, useable fabric less wide. i have noticed a varying thickness between different fabric companies for last several years. the fabric makers costs go up but fabric buyers (we consumers) complain if their increased manufacturing prices passed along to us. something has to give. like useable width of fabric, thickness & quality of fabric. economics.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:13 AM

The fabrics sometimes seem thinner but also so much softer and have a better feel, just my opinion. The manufacturers are making them less wide, especially Benartex.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:27 AM

I have been doing some WOF projects and have noticed how much narrower the new fabrics are compared to older fabrics from my stash.. I wondered how J's could sell the solids at such a good price. And, yes, they are very thin. Con. Threads sells a nice quality fabric but they are changing their offerings lately--prices up!, selection not as traditional as it used to be.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:39 AM

Some of the difference in the feel of the fabrics may be due to the sizing used. The newer sizings (more eco friendly), don't add a lot of body to the fabrics like the old sizings/dyes.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I have a hard time finding solids of any shade that are decent. Everything is less, but costs more!
Moda Bella for very nice solid fabrics. I have bought Kona in a quilt shop and it was so thin - then found Moda Bella. I also want to try the new American made solids - forget where I saw it.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 AM

Default Definitely many lines are using thinner greige goods. But the width is the same

All one has to do is pull older fabric of the same line and compare the weight. The newer greige goods are noticeably thinner. This saves on manufacturing and on shipping weight. However, the width of 42-44 inches is the same due to the looms/machines that the yardage is made on. The expense of narrowing the width of the machinery would not be cost effective.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 AM

My Modern guild did a research project on the solids of the various lines and it was fascinating. We compared the brands, colors, density, hand, availability and cost of LQS quality solids. I decided I like Bella and some Kona. Lots of variety. BTW the American made (as much as I want to love it) came in toward the bottom, maybe because they are trying to appeal to a cost conscious market and just starting out?