Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did Walmart contract with Jo Ann's? >

Did Walmart contract with Jo Ann's?

Did Walmart contract with Jo Ann's?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:18 PM

We have a huge fabric dept in our Wal mart here in Fallon, Nevada. I just wonder how that will work? The prices are good now but I am not sure if JoAnn's would be the same.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 PM

This wouldn't work at Walmart because the checker at the front wouldn't be able to ring it up without the little electronic print-out. You have to enter your code to get that little machine to work.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
I remember Zayres! Ours had a pretty decent fabric dept and so did Penneys. The good old days.

Had to laugh when I read the comment about Penney's fabric department..........I just emptied out some storage totes to put the fabric on my shelves. I found a 4 yard piece of grey paisley fabric.......36 inches wide.........marked "J.C. Penney....and the price on the sticker was 4 yards for $1.00. Can't bring myself to even think of using it!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 PM

There are at least four WalMarts in my area and none of them carry fabrics. All used to but went with groceries instead. Perhaps we will get fabric again. I really would appreciate that because the fabric is so much cheaper and great for charity quilts. But have seen no signs of fabric returning.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 PM

Our Walmart (Gilroy, CA) just put the fabric department back in! The fabric is some of the same stuff they had 4 years ago, but instead of $2-$3, it is $5. But glad to have it! A dedicated clerk for the cutting, too.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
While I don't know the specific answer to that - it is done. Years ago, I worked for a store similar to Walmart cld Zayres....they had a fabric dept and it was leased by another company. Those of us who worked back there were still employees of Zayres, not the company that had leased the dept.
Zayre's, now that store name brings back memories, went there often growing up
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 AM

Several of the ladies that work at Walmart have made mention that the fabric dept. is leased....but didn't say ''who'' leased it...
Old 07-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I work for WalMart and see the inside figures. Really don't see them going out of business in the near future. They are opening too many stores and are the largest employer in the world next to the United States Government.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 AM

I was in our Walmart fabric department just the other day and they had just gotten in some new fabric and it was beautiful and the price was great too. I was talking to the clerk about the department while she was cutting my fabric and she never said anything about Joanns.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
What bell? They got rid of the one here at ours years ago and they only show up if they feel like it.

Walmart is NO LONGER #1 in this country for type business it is and have been losing revenue for a few years now and they wonder why? Wouldn't surprise me any if there were no more Walmarts in the next five years. At the rate they are going it may happen sooner than that.
Hi! Where do you go to a WalMart around here that still has fabric? Ours doesn't, Jesup doesn't, Brunswick doesn't--I don't think they are really concerned about whether we quilt or not! LOL