Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Differenc in 60 degree rulers >

Differenc in 60 degree rulers

Differenc in 60 degree rulers

Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM

On another post I done, I was told that my flat topped 60 degree ruler may not work with cutting the hex's for the OBW. Has anyone else used the Fons and Porter flat topped 60 degree ruler in making the OBW and did it work well or not? Thanks to all, Mary
Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mary M
On another post I done, I was told that my flat topped 60 degree ruler may not work with cutting the hex's for the OBW. Has anyone else used the Fons and Porter flat topped 60 degree ruler in making the OBW and did it work well or not? Thanks to all, Mary
This ruler will work! You just have to place it so that your triangles all have pointy ends. Place it as you showed in your other post, make the cut, turn the ruler as the book instructs (so that it is lined up with the top of the cut you just made) and make the next cut. You can also use any "regular" ruler with a 60 degree line.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Thank you dear. I want to feel confident in cutting this fabric and I probably sound like a worry wart . I'll get there yet, with all the help everyone offers.

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by Mary M
This ruler will work! You just have to place it so that your triangles all have pointy ends. Place it as you showed in your other post, make the cut, turn the ruler as the book instructs (so that it is lined up with the top of the cut you just made) and make the next cut. You can also use any "regular" ruler with a 60 degree line.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Aren't they great for the help and moral support!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

your ruler will work fine. just cut all your pieces with the same ruler and the same size.
if your ruler had a tip, you would cut all the same and the same size. go for it!!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Nativetexan said it best.

ali
Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM

60 degrees is 60 degrees. It is how you place it. It would be like asking someone which is heavier; a pound of marshmallows or a pound of gold. Don't hate me, its been a very long day. :-)
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM

Want all of you to know the ruler is working great and I like the fact that the end isn't pointed. BTW the blocks are coming together beautifully. Each one is so different from the other. And the plus is it is taking my mind off this awful pain from the shingles.....well I am using painkillers to!