Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between dual feed and walking foot?

Difference between dual feed and walking foot?

I have the Bernina 830, which comes with the dual feed. Someone suggested that I should get the walking foot. Could someone please explain the difference between the two and why I would need the walking foot? Thanks.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Don't think there's any difference at all. Like bag and sack, soda and pop...same thing, two names.

ETA: Oops..new 830 or old? Built-in dual feed feature or separate foot?
    Last edited by ghostrider; 07-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I have a Janome 6600p with the duel feed and I was told that the duel feed is the same and some say better then a walking foot. I use the duel feed foot with all my quilting and have never had an issue. Per the site for my machine they say not to use the walking foot at all since the duel feed is a built in part of my machine.
    Juliebelle

Quote Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
    I have the Bernina 830, which comes with the dual feed. Someone suggested that I should get the walking foot. Could someone please explain the difference between the two and why I would need the walking foot? Thanks.
    You dont need a walking fott with dual feed. I have a Pfaff withtheir IDT (the same thing) and can't see how in the world you would attach a walking foot anyway.

The built in feed works sweet!

The walking foot "walks" along bulky quilt sandwiches and sort of feeds the fabric from the top in addition to the feed dogs doing the work from the bottom, thus creating a "dual feed" operation. I think the Bernina 830 has a built-in walking foot. There is a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwb5airxZY
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

As far as I know, they are the same thing. The walking foot feeds both the top and bottom fabrics through at the same time which is the "dual feed"...a great foot for doing straight-line quilting (and minor curves too)

They are the same. I have a Pfaff and love it for the dual feed, IDT I think it's called. I've used a walking foot on another of my machines, and it is so much harder to see Eg: stitch in the ditch, with the walking foot than a regular foot on the Pfaff.
    Laurie

I have the Bernina 830 and it's recommended you have both. NO, they are not the same on this machine. The walking foot is made for over two layers (think quilts) whereas the Bernina dual-feed is made for 2 layers(think piecing). So, the advice given for other machines doesn't apply to the 830.
    Last edited by Candace; 07-28-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Don't think there's any difference at all. Like bag and sack, soda and pop...same thing, two names.

ETA: Oops..new 830 or old? Built-in dual feed feature or separate foot?
    New with built-in dual feed feature.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I have the Bernina 830 and it's recommended you have both. NO, they are not the same on this machine. The walking foot is made for over two layers (think quilts) whereas the Bernina dual-feed is made for 2 layers(think piecing). So, the advice given for other machines doesn't apply to the 830.
    Thanks, Candace. Sorry that I didn't make it clear that I have the new Bernina. I also have the 7570 Pfaff and the 2170 Pfaff. They both have the IDT, which is the dual feed for Pfaff.
    So Candace, do you have the walking foot and if so, how do you like it? Does it do everything you want it to do? (Like wash the dishes? Just kidding. Ha)
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast