Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Difference between frames and LA? >

Difference between frames and LA?

Difference between frames and LA?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 AM

Sorry if this is a partcularly dumb question, but I just tried free motion quilting at a quilt show and it was a vendor of quilting frames. It was great.
Can someone explain the difference between those frames and a longarm machine? Is a LA just a large frame with the sewing machine bit included, whereas the frame is used with one's own machine or are there other differences?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:31 AM

That's part of it. True longarms are single purpose, industrial machines and cost many thousands of dollars more than the home style frames. They are usually sold with the sewing head and frame and include setup in the price--sometimes even training or camp. The big boys can have hydraulic lifts and auto quilt advance. There are also some midarms in this class--16-18" industrial machines. Some people are referring to even the 9" Juki TL98, Brother PQ1500, Pfaff GHQ1200, etc. as longarms but if you can pick it up and sit it on a table to hem curtains--it's not a longarm to my notion.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stummel
Sorry if this is a partcularly dumb question, but I just tried free motion quilting at a quilt show and it was a vendor of quilting frames. It was great.
Can someone explain the difference between those frames and a longarm machine? Is a LA just a large frame with the sewing machine bit included, whereas the frame is used with one's own machine or are there other differences?
Some frames are sold for use with domestic sewing machines. These frames are very different than the ones used with longarm machines. With a longarm, the sewing machine itself has a lot of space under the arm, plus it sits on a carriage that sits on the frame. You move the longarm around to do your quilting. With the frames sold for domestic sewing machines, you move the frame around to do your quilting.

I can't tell for sure from your description which kind of frame you tried out. I'm assuming it was for a domestic machine?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the info! It was these ones:

http://marysiasquilts.co.uk/

They have freestanding ones, and some that sit on a table.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 AM

[quote=Prism99
. With the frames sold for domestic sewing machines, you move the frame around to do your quilting.

I can't tell for sure from your description which kind of frame you tried out. I'm assuming it was for a domestic machine?[/quote]

The only frame I know of for home machines that you move the frame and not the machine is the John Flynn frame. All the rest are three rail frames and the machine sits on a carriage.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
The only frame I know of for home machines that you move the frame and not the machine is the John Flynn frame. All the rest are three rail frames and the machine sits on a carriage.
For the ones that sit on a carriage, are any of them useful with a regular domestic machine?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
That's part of it. True longarms are single purpose, industrial machines and cost many thousands of dollars more than the home style frames. They are usually sold with the sewing head and frame and include setup in the price--sometimes even training or camp. The big boys can have hydraulic lifts and auto quilt advance. There are also some midarms in this class--16-18" industrial machines. Some people are referring to even the 9" Juki TL98, Brother PQ1500, Pfaff GHQ1200, etc. as longarms but if you can pick it up and sit it on a table to hem curtains--it's not a longarm to my notion.
I agree.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 AM

Handi Quilter makes frames for use with domestic sewing machines, as well as for midarm or longarm machines. With these units the sewing machine is what is moving, the frame is stationary.

http://www.handiquilter.com/shop/pro...uilting-frame/
Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
For the ones that sit on a carriage, are any of them useful with a regular domestic machine?
Yes. There are several different brands that are sold specifically for use with a regular domestic machine. You don't have a lot of space to quilt by the time you get a whole quilt rolled into the throat if it's big. Hinterberg and Grace are two brands that are sold for use with a domestic machine.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 AM

The true difference between a true long arm machine and a home sewing machine is presser foot and needle orientation. On a home machine the presser foot and needle are oriented so they face the long side of the machine. On a true long arm they face the end of the machine.