Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: different fabrics for quilts

Blog Entries
    I do appreciate all the response, thank you. I was just a little unsure about the different textures, how they would work together, or if they would work with quilting. Carol

I would use it. The kids will have fun picking out "their" fabric in each block. If the fabric ravels, I have used a zig zag stitch on seams. you cna't tell its there when its quilted.

I say, give it a go.

I say give it a try. I'm sure it will work out great.

My Mom made me a crazy quilt with all the scraps left over from all the clothes that had been made by her, my sister and me. It was not all cotton. It's fun remembering patches, that one was one of Sharon's blouses, this one is from the tunic I made in college, that is from a dress Mom made, etc. Go for it.

Blog Entries
    what a cool way to save the fabric for quilts, would be cool to also take pictures of the clothes before you cut them up for a scrapbook

Crazy quilts are fun to make. You don't even need a pattern. And if you have any lace, ribbons, buttons, etc. you can also use those on the quilt. I just tried my had at crazy quilts last year - I made a Christmas table runner and this year made a table runner/bed runner/couch back; whatever I want to use it for. You will see it on my picture. Fun to do; almost like working a puzzle if you like to work puzzles, you will love this.

I think if they are similar in weight, they would be fun for the girls to have.

Be bold and just do it. The girls will love them, and I think the differences in textures will make them more interesting.

you can combine anything you want, the only thing you need to keep consistant is laundering requirements...you don't want to mix something you can throw in the washer with something that needs to be drycleaned, or hand washed delicately unless you are going to let who ever know that the quilt needs to be dry cleaned, or 'hand washed'...
    i have mixed corduroy's, silks, wools, cottons and fleeces all with great results.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast