Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Digitalized Patterns - What are they? >

Digitalized Patterns - What are they?

Digitalized Patterns - What are they?

Old 12-12-2015, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Most fabric companies will be going to digital fabric printing in the near future. The fashion industry is using it now. The designers don't have to choose fabric available to use , they now can describe what they want and it is printed and ready to use in a matter of hours.
Will this mean that in the future shops and us will look through pages of prints online in order to purchase our digital fabric? No stroking that special fabric in the shop.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Will this mean that in the future shops and us will look through pages of prints online in order to purchase our digital fabric? No stroking that special fabric in the shop.
I wouldn't be at all surprised. I recently purchased this fabric line, printed in house at Hawthorne Threads http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabr.../forest_fables

It's a tad bit of a pain to work with since it has to be washed before using, but it quilts up nicely
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 12-13-2015, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
That is interesting. I had seen digitized in the description of a fabric made by Hoffman.

Printed digitally, crisp images. More expensive. A few other fabic vendors are adding digitized prints to their offerings.m They are gorgeous but expect to pay more. See below.

sandy

look for Digital Garden on this site.

http://elizabethsstudio.net/cgi-bin/...op/gallery.cgi

Last edited by Sandygirl; 12-13-2015 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
Normally I think of that as a pattern that can be downloaded as a PDF when purchased so
I can print it as opposed to mailed to me on paper.
My first thought too. Purchase the pattern online, then use your paper and ink to print it out.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
More expensive. They are gorgeous but expect to pay more.
I guess it depends on what you think of as expensive. I just purchased several yards of various prints, also from Hawthorne Threads, their in-house designs. I paid the same price per yard as what's in my local quilt shops here. Free shipping, too.

The benefit of "on demand" printing of fabric is you can purchase more fabric at a later date, instead of scouring the internet and begging friends to dig through their stashes.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:08 PM

When you order a pattern, you may be offered an option. Digital patterns are sent to your computer and you can download to your computer. The ones I have gotten are usually in PDF form. This means you get your pattern sooner and no shipping fee.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I guess it depends on what you think of as expensive. I just purchased several yards of various prints, also from Hawthorne Threads, their in-house designs. I paid the same price per yard as what's in my local quilt shops here. Free shipping, too.

The benefit of "on demand" printing of fabric is you can purchase more fabric at a later date, instead of scouring the internet and begging friends to dig through their stashes.

Digital prints ...around $17/yard. are Hawthornes in-house around this price?

Sandy
Old 12-13-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Digital prints ...around $17/yard. are Hawthornes in-house around this price?
The regular price is $12.95/yard. They have tiered pricing, so because I bought several yards, I paid $12.70/yard.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 PM

A digitize pattern can be almost everything mentioned by other posters.

For instance, you can download a digitized quilt pattern that you use to make a quilt top and you can also download a digitized quilting motif or pattern to: a) print and use to quilt, b) or to use with a computer driven longarm machine to "sew out' the motif or quilting pattern on a quilt mounted on a quilting frame.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The regular price is $12.95/yard. They have tiered pricing, so because I bought several yards, I paid $12.70/yard.
Thanks.
Sandy