Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing 9 Patch

Disappearing 9 Patch

I have pretty much decided that a Disappearing 9 patch is going to be the quilt I make for a Secret Santa this year, and have seen many lovely versions...

I have plenty of fabrics in Christmas prints, but before I start falling in love with a 2 or 3 or 5 fabric arrangement, I would love to hear what people who make this often feel is the best number of fabrics to use???

Is it more important that there is separation in tone/shade or more important that there be a variety of fabrics?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Personally with the ones that I have done - 7 so far - I really like using 3 fabrics. Something interesting for the corners, something blendy for the other outside 4 and then something to really POP in the middle. And then I really like to play with the layout. JMHO
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

I saw a DP9 here that looks like it is sashed. http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot...ring-nine.html She did it as an I Spy quilt but it could be done using any fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I use all different never same twice
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

I used 3 fabrics on the one I did & really like it. Go to the photo section & then go to the "Gallery of Quilts" sticky. There is a section for D9P with lots of pictures. That should help you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
    I saw a DP9 here that looks like it is sashed. http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot...ring-nine.html She did it as an I Spy quilt but it could be done using any fabrics.
    Now, THAT is interesting!!! Not for this time but cool idea...thanks for Sharing!

More, not less, I think has been decided, after looking over the gallery... maybe two different sets of three...Maybe its time to break out the fabrics after all!!

Blog Entries
    I love this pattern and have used as many fabrics as I have in my collection of Christmas fabrics-I didn't really worry about keeping the one patch consistent and have great results-its quick and each one is unique

I did 2 fabrics and liked but didn't love it. It made a cool secondary pattern appear, but I lost the primary pattern. My next one will be 3
    Nothing's a mistake. It's a learning experience. Some experiences, you learn more than others.

lucy in the sky
    I did a two color & it looks like Tee's side ways

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast