Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing hour glass pattern >

Disappearing hour glass pattern

Disappearing hour glass pattern

Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 PM

I like the block but I hate babysitting bias edges so I would just start with regular edge half square triangles and go on from there.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I used the Go and the 6 1/2" hst die to make the hour glass block. So much better, no bias.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:26 AM

I just completed a DHG block quilt. I wanted a larger size so I added sashing. This might take care of your need for an unfinished 12 1/2" block. I did not have to trim the blocks (42 total) before the sashing was applied, but care has to be taken when cutting and resewing.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM

I just started the DHG blocks. I am using one layer cake and cutting the contrast blocks.

My blocks (before cutting the 9 pieces) are approximately 12.5".

Someone earlier indicated they measured 2 1/16" from center for the cuts. This is key - measuring from the center is vital to getting the blocks to 'square up'.

I love the MSQC tutorials, they put quilting within reach for those of us who have not been quilting since birth. I do find I must watch them over and over again to 'get it' right. Fortunately I have a tablet I can carry into the sewing room.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:37 PM

I followed Jenny's video and made the quilt with the same fabrics that she used. I didn't measure the size of the blocks; but everything fit. I heavily, heavily starched my fabric and handled it gently. I had no problem with biased edges. I did watch the video several times. The instructions will probably be in the next issue of Block​; but I was in a hurry to make that quilt.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Thumbs up Thank you LyndaOH

Thank you for clearing that up. I noticed several problems with the block and was ready to redesign it for myself but I see that you have already done that.

It is a beautiful block and worth doing correctly.

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I really like the theory behind Jenny's videos but they sometimes lack in execution. This is one of those blocks.

The problem is that Jenny is trying to make HSTs (half square triangles) in the first step, but she is actually cutting pieces for QSTs (quarter square triangles) and then sewing them into HSTs. This is no small difference because it means that every piece you are working with after the first step has only bias edges. This leads to a lot of stretching and distortion even if you are very careful.

In theory if you start out with the same size squares from a single layer cake your blocks would all end up the same size. In practice they don't because as you are cutting and sewing and then recutting and sewing they will be distorted differently.

I made a sample block using Jenny's method. After the first step the four squares were about 6 3/4". I trimmed them to 6 1/2" square to give myself a better shot at a good block. After the second step (sewing the four squares together into a four patch) the block measured 12 1/2". I made my cuts for the third step at 2 1/16" from the center of the block. After sewing the block together into the nine patch it measured 11 5/8" more or less. Even with being incredibly careful, making sure I was pressing and not ironing, it's still wonky.

I do appreciate what Jenny is trying to do - bring quilting to the masses and make it easy enough that a beginner can finish a quilt in a reasonable amount of time. I'm just not sure that teaching bad fundamentals to beginners or other quilters is a great idea. I would have been frustrated if I hadn't learned the difference between making HSTs and QSTs, and ended up with a wonky quilt as a result. Quilting quickly is not always quilting well.

Off my soapbox and back to putting together my progressive learning BOW program.

Here's my block: