Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing hour glass >

Disappearing hour glass

Disappearing hour glass

Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 AM

It always seemed to me that Jenny's presser foot is right on the edge of the fabric when she sews. Any possibility she's using a quarter inch presser foot? If so, then she's sewing on the inside of the pinked cut, so the inside points are 1/4" from the seamline.

...just my take...
Old 07-01-2014, 02:12 PM

I know Jenny said to cut at 1/3 the block. I don/t think it would matter exactly where you make the cuts, as long as they are consistent. The pieces are not changing position within the block, just being turned. Maybe I need to look at it a little closer.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I know Jenny said to cut at 1/3 the block. I don/t think it would matter exactly where you make the cuts, as long as they are consistent. The pieces are not changing position within the block, just being turned. Maybe I need to look at it a little closer.
The pieces are being reassembled as a 9-patch - so I think each section should end up being the same size - so it will go together nicely.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 PM

I would like to just make a quick comment. I too saw that tutorial and found that it may confuse some beginners on some important quilting tips. She isn't pressing carefully on that tut and after all this time everyone talks about setting the seams I noted she did not, so I wonder what changed with that. I think people should ask questions if they have them about video's they see because some of them are not good for beginners or more advanced people. I have noted people trying to sell products that aren't ironing or pressing their fabrics, which drives me nuts. It is always important to press your fabric and not cut wrinkled fabric. Things like that. Anyway, that quick comment was kind of long.lol
Old 07-02-2014, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

My first one I was using too wide a cut. The end corners didn't have the different color corner. The pieces did all fit but a different pattern was made.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I would like to just make a quick comment. I too saw that tutorial and found that it may confuse some beginners on some important quilting tips. She isn't pressing carefully on that tut and after all this time everyone talks about setting the seams I noted she did not, so I wonder what changed with that. I think people should ask questions if they have them about video's they see because some of them are not good for beginners or more advanced people. I have noted people trying to sell products that aren't ironing or pressing their fabrics, which drives me nuts. It is always important to press your fabric and not cut wrinkled fabric. Things like that. Anyway, that quick comment was kind of long.lol
Is this a "do as I say, not as I do"? She does things quickly, which is good, but sometimes, some things fall by the wayside. She "irons" instead of presses. (I do, too, many times.) I think we have to watch and learn, and then do it our way, which may take a few moments longer.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My first one I was using too wide a cut. The end corners didn't have the different color corner. The pieces did all fit but a different pattern was made.
I tried these out yesterday. My center cut was not exactly 1/3, but it was 2 1/4" -easy to see on the ruler and close enough- and it fit together fine. But in the process, I forgot to turn the center block which ended up making these flower things, which I like, too.
I think part of Jenny's charm is that she IS very loose about everything, but as a result, she sometimes doesn't address ' things quilters should do' like pressing, not ironing, especially with those bias edges, and starting out with pieces that fit, not just throwing it together and take "whatever" for a seam allowance. Yes, if you know what you're doing and how things should turn out - fine. But if you're just learning, and want accurate directions....
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 04:26 AM

I can't wait to get one of these going!

Susan
Old 07-03-2014, 04:36 AM

Jenny specicifally says to sew the seam allowance using the SMALLEST piece if the blocks are not cut the same. I have made HST using thei method and it is much easier than marking and sewing each piece when making a lot. However you need to be carefull when pressing since this method put the HST on the bias. Also the advantage of using any pre-cut fabric is the variety of fabric that you get. Just the thought of choosing 20+ fabric gives me a head.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:04 AM

The 3 cuts need to be exactly the same measurement in both directions. It will make a difference if the cuts are not exact in thirds, as when you turn the smaller blocks to make the pattern them they will not match up and give you accurate points; it will turn out wonky. I made the Disappearing Pinwheel using her tutorial. Some of little blocks did not match when I turned them to put them back together.

Last edited by dee1245; 07-03-2014 at 06:07 AM.