Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: disappearing nine patch bag

I have been working on this tote bag and I have no pattern, I was wondering how you make durable handles, I looked at the nylon straps at Jo All, but I didn't like them, I have more of the red and black material, any suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like the handles from the Bow Tuck Tote. They are cut 5 in. by WOF, fold both sides to the middle then fold in half and sew down the open side, the opposite side and more if you want to. Cut in half lengthwise.
    As far along as your tote is, I would place the handles between the bag and lining and then sew. I like your fabric choice a lot :lol:

Thank you for the suggestion,bright colors are just awsome, these were scraps from my crock pot lid cozies, this was the perfect project for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you are wanting 'heavy duty' handles, rather than just stitching them into the seam at the top of the bag, have them meet at the bottom of the bag, stitch along the edges of the straps wherever you can on the body of the bag and then do an 'X' at the upper edge where the handle and the body of the bag meet.

This way if you are carying something heavy (like books or a laptop) the weight is more evenly distributed.

One tote bag I did, I put that nylon strap down the center of the fabric, then folded the fabric on top and stitched it down on by sides and down the middle. Made a very sturdy strap. Then attached it the same way mom-6 did.

I also measured how long I wanted the handles for me. I like the strap long enough to put on my shoulder.

The tote is cute, but so is the little crock pot cozy, did you post how you made it before?

I made a tutorial for the crock pot cozie, hope it is easy to understand!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    The tote is cute, but so is the little crock pot cozy, did you post how you made it before?

Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    One tote bag I did, I put that nylon strap down the center of the fabric, then folded the fabric on top and stitched it down on by sides and down the middle. Made a very sturdy strap. Then attached it the same way mom-6 did.

I also measured how long I wanted the handles for me. I like the strap long enough to put on my shoulder.
    I did this too...

Thanks for the tute on the crock pot cozie!