Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The disappearing polyester batting >

The disappearing polyester batting

The disappearing polyester batting

Old 11-01-2014, 04:22 AM

Default The disappearing polyester batting

About 9 years ago I made my sister a quilt. It's a utility quilt, not heirloom quality. It's a long story about why but she wants me to divide the quilt into two quilts, which I'm happy to do. I got the quilt from her a few weeks ago and while trying to determine how to divide it I noticed the quilt seems very thin. I'm pretty sure I used polyester batting.

Last night I opened it up and found this:

I had no idea that polyester would just disintegrate!

This is the top of the quilt:

Attached Thumbnails dscf2644a.jpg   dscf2650.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 05:04 AM

That is the same thing that happened to a double wedding ring quilt I made for my son and DIL. She showed it to me a couple of years ago when they moved here. I was shocked and wanted to redo it, but she said no, she lived it the way it was and didn't want to change a thing. I don't use poly anymore in something that would get a lot of wear. I thought I was the only one to have this happen.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Looks like that quilt was loved to death! How far apart were the ties? could be that batt needed to be secured more closely than the tie distance, which is why you need to follow the instructions on the package. I think batting has improved over the last 9 years. I know I have some old stuff that says quilt 2" apart.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:20 AM

Oh No! Now I am worried about quilts I made a few years back.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:21 AM

Wow, that's a far cry from the way it looks when it's new huh? I didn't know the poly batting would do that! I don't use it anymore because it keeps getting thinner and thinner (not as it's used, I'm talking about new). Now I'm wondering how all those early quilts of mine are holding up. They were mostly all hand quilted but I hope the recipients of them are not having this issue! I'm wondering how worried I should be?

I think I would redo it (now that you have it apart already) with a reliable batting if the top is in good shape. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I have seen this before in quilts that are tied. I have one of my first quilts I made using poly batting, closely machine quilted and it is still okay. I think the batting isn't anchored enough by tying so far apart. I'd like to know the reason if anyone may know.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:47 AM

That isn't very good. Do any of you remember which brand? Maybe asking the mfg what is happening might help.
That might save a few other quilts if the problem is found.

I used high loft batting a long time ago in wall hangings. It was poly. I've washed and dried them at least once a year for a long time, and they show no signs of disappearing. Maybe it's the weight of the batting?
Old 11-01-2014, 06:51 AM

If you really want poly batting I would suggest using Quilter's Dream brand. It is not as thin and is designed to be stitched further apart. This is one reason why I prefer natural fibers. I also like the fact that natural fibers "breathe" and because I can get too warm very easily.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:38 AM

I'm pretty sure it was Mountain Mist. The ties are about 4 inches apart.

When I gave my sister the quilt, her dog got attached to it. The dog never acted that way about any other blanket. The dog is now a senior dog. My sister told me she wanted to bury the quilt with the dog when the time came. I offered to split the quilt into two pieces so she could bury one and keep one. She was happy with that. So, that's why I'm taking it apart. For the part my sister will keep I plan to use new cotton batting and a better backing (currently is inexpensive muslin).

I'm also now worried about all the other quilts I've made with polyester batting
Old 11-01-2014, 07:45 AM

The label on all batting tells you the recommended quilting distance for the batting. I went an got a package of fusible from my closet and it still says recommended quilting of 2". I too think if it had been quilted and not tied it would probably still be ok. It is too bad that happened but she still loves it all the same and that is what matters.