Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Discolored antique quilt-? how do I clean it?

I purchased 2 quilts at an auction last weekend.
    Got a steal at $5 and $10 one is an embroidered tree of life and the other is a yellow floral applique.
    Both are badly age stained in spots
    what can I use to try and remove the stains?
    they are in good shape otherwise no rips or tears

at my quilt store they have "quilt wash" it's made for old quilts

oxyclean works well. I have soaked lod quilts like this for two weeks straight in a mild soapy solution to get them clean. I figure mild soap and give it lots of time to work.

Gentle cleaners and plenty of soaking time - not just overnight, but several nights sometimes. I put the quilt in a plastic laundry basket, and the basket in the bathtub. Squeeze the soapy water through the quilt, let soak, rinse and repeat until the water runs clear. Shower massagers can make this a lot easier.

kwhite, you have faster fingers than mine!

Most LQS's have a product that will take the yellow out of old quilts safely. I don't know the name of it but you can call or email my LQS and find out. http://www.threadsoftimefab.com

The people there are very helpful and I'm sure will give you the information you need. Tell them Alfreda (with a long E) sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    I purchased 2 quilts at an auction last weekend.
    Got a steal at $5 and $10 one is an embroidered tree of life and the other is a yellow floral applique.
    Both are badly age stained in spots
    what can I use to try and remove the stains?
    they are in good shape otherwise no rips or tears
    I've had good luck with several of the quilt washes, let it soak overnight at least - don't rush it. Also used Oxyclean on a couple of REALLY dirty old quilts but you've got to rinse VERY very well or they will be stiff afterward. (Ask me how I know!)
    Also see the old time recom. to soak in a BUTTERMILK solution but haven't tried that one myself ... has anyone here??

On the white areas- use a fresh lemon, cut in half and rubbed in , then leave in the sun for a while. (If you have colors you don't want to fade- cover them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    On the white areas- use a fresh lemon, cut in half and rubbed in , then leave in the sun for a while. (If you have colors you don't want to fade- cover them.
    Lemon juice is high acid...I would think that would damage the fabric? (I could be wrong...tis why I'm asking)

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    Lemon juice is high acid...I would think that would damage the fabric? (I could be wrong...tis why I'm asking)
    My Grandmother always used lemon juice on whites that were soiled and leave them in the sun. I still have some of her linens and the fabric is fine. lemon juice does work.

I would wash the quilts with washing soda and 20 mule team borox along with detergent. that combo gets even the dirtiest of diapers clean and it does wonder for age stains on quilts.

Blog Entries
    wow, lots of cool comments, thanks everyone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast