Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 AM
KLO

Please, please don't be discouraged! And don't go buy one of those "made in China" quilts either. You will be much happier with something you make even when working on something simple in the beginning. We all had to start somewhere and work our way up. Some of the ones you see on this forum are made by people who have been sewing/quilting for many years or have degrees in Art. Plus, even those who have sewn for a while make a mistake now and then. You need to just start! I saw a quilt on Pottery Barn that was just large squares sewn together but the fabric was so beautiful that I fell in love with the quilt and I also like the simple way it was quilted. I will be using that idea soon even though I have been quilting for some time. Also, don't discount finding a quilting buddy or a guild or small quilt group to join. Check JoAnn's if you have one nearby. Good luck and enjoy the photos of quilts on this site but just take one step at a time and work your way up to something more complicated. PS: I see where you want to do a quilt using shirts. Someone sent you a link that shows what you can do with them. Cut simple squares and sew them together. This would be a great way to start your foray into quilting. Seriously, clear your brain and just start cutting and sewing. A lot of us started that way.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Awww - don't give up! I know exactly how you feel. I joined a Quilt Club (note - NOT a Guild) and after months of going, I finally figured out why I was not getting excited about quilting. These ladies were good and they had no intention of sharing their wisdom with anyone....Left the club, joined a local Guild and my, what a difference. Encouragement like you cannot believe. I too was overwhelmed by the intricate patterns and the like. As one of the Guild ladies told me - we are NOT born quilters, we grow into quilters.

So grow - make that 4 patch quilt - go to Quilterscache.com and look for easy blocks to make. Make a sample quilt with blocks of the same size.

You CAN do it!!! And once that quilt top is done, you'll be hooked but good.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 AM

So many neat ideas! Who knew a nine patch could be made in so many ways! Never give up! I have done some really quick baby quilts before. Two pieces of fabric sewn together and binding put on and then tied it. They were impressed! LOL....simple is beautiful to!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 AM

Someone mentioned quilter's cache. I use that a lot, and they have some very easy patterns. When I am stressed out and supposed to make something for someone and don't have much time, I go to one of their patterns with 1 star. Try a 9-patch, 4 patch; both very easy.
Carol Doak's book "My first quilt book," is a good one, as she shows basic skills in easy steps, and it has easy projects in it. There are some projects in her book I still want to make.
Hope everyone's ideas on this help you! It is easy to get discouraged, but don't. There is lots of fun and satisfaction in quilting!!
Mariah.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 AM

Go to Quilt Blocks Galore...........there lots of free blocks. I use them alot.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Oh, please don't be discouraged.
I don't even do a lot of the patterns because for me they are just too much for me to figure out at this point. I'm still a newbie as far as a lot of patterns go.

Just pick a size of square you want to use and if nothing else - just sew them together. Make a scrappy quilt in all squares with no real pattern design to it.

That's all this one was.
Please don't be discouraged. I think almost all of us have felt like we just couldn't get it right no matter how hard we tried. But we kept trying and one day we surprised ourselves. Our seams did match perfectly (or almost anyway). Nobody is going to judge you as harshly as you judge yourself. Just remember, accuracy in cutting and stitching are your best friends in quilting. It helps me to use a square the same size of my intended fabric squares (usually 3 1/2 inches) to make sure all of my squares actually are 3 1/2 inches. You can cut a square from an empty cereal box to use to measure your fabric squares to make sure they really are the size you intended. This works well for measuring completed blocks as well. I have a 3 1/2 inch ruler that I use to measure squares, but a cereal box would work. I've added rulers over time, as I could afford them. I bought the 3 1/2 inch ruler on the recommendation of a LQS owner who is also a friend. It has saved me much frustration over the past year and has probably saved several quilts from my UFO box. Please don't give up. Remember, you have friends here willing to listen and help. Happy quilting!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dmacc502
For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
We were all 1st timers when we started quilting. Try a four patch or strings, they make pretty quilts. Whatever you do, don't give up. You'll be posting pis before you know it. :D
Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by pollym44
For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
We were all 1st timers when we started quilting. Try a four patch or strings, they make pretty quilts. Whatever you do, don't give up. You'll be posting pis before you know it. :D
I intended to type pics. NO JOKES, PLEASE!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 AM
nab

Don't give up. We all get discourage, but don't let it defeat you. I sometimes just pick some fabric I like and cut it into squares and sew them together how I want them. Anyone can do it. It gets your imagination going and no one is telling you how it should turn out. I have been quilting for years but I am no wheres near as good as some. I do not care. I do it for the fun of it. Don't make it so hard, make it fun.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 AM

Hi there! Can't wait to hear what you have chosen to do. There have been so many ideas shared here I'd have a hard time deciding on just one! I think someone mentioned seeing a quilt in a catalog made of just large squares and beautiful fabric. Believe me, I have seen some of those and they are gorgeous. But they would super easy to make. Choose an assortment of fabrics that you really like (some are already cut in 10 1/2 inch squares of coordinating fabrics), lay them out on a flannel-backed tablecloth in an arrangement you really like (take a photo that you can refer back to) and start sewing them together in rows across. Press the seams for alternating rows in opposite directions (they will nest together better at the corners). Then sew the rows together. PM me back for completing the quilt. Happy quilting! We are all here for you.