Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Default Discouraged

I was about to start a new machine applique project. Since I haven't done that in a little while, I thought I'd practice on a small shape. Went about an inch and the needle did not want to advance. It made a lump in one place. I took off the freezer paper and used the other side. Same problem. Then the thread broke. Re-threaded. And just to be sure, re-threaded the bobbin as well. Then the needle broke. Put in new needle. It still does not want to advance properly. The tension is the same as it has always been, the thread is the same brand I always use. I don't get it.

Guess I will cut some fabric for the French Braid I am planning. I think my machine has a headache.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 AM

Try lightly spraying your spool with water mist, put in the fridge or freezer for 30 minutes in a zip loc bag. It will let the thread absorb some moisture which will help with thread breakage and tension. Remove it, rethread the machine and try again. Since you already put a new needle on, that could have been another issue. Remove it and put it back in again making sire the eye is aligned forward. Check your feed dogs to make sure they are up and working. It might help to give the machine a good cleaning also, especially under the throat plate and the feed dogs. Make sure there is nothing stuck in there. Oil you machine if needed to ensure smoother operation and recommended by the manufacturer. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 AM

I was going to say to double check that your feed dogs are actually "up" .
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 AM

Take the foot off and see if it has a groove on the bottom. If it doesn't change to one that does. The ones with the groove cut out of the bottom are meant for doing satin stitch and embroidery so the thread build up doesn't bunch up under the foot.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Did you change out the foot to an embroidery foot? There is a big groove in the bottom of it that allows for more stitches to go under it.
I use a thinner thread to eliminate the bulk the satin stitches make. And last but not least, Maybe the bobbin has been overwound and the thread is not turning right in it. Also, check to make sure the machine is threaded right. I know this has happened to me before.

I hope she gets over her headache soon, that little girl needs to get your groove back!

Edited to say I should have read the whole thread... LOL.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Make sure the thread path is clear and that the thread hasn't wound around the spool pin. On my Bernina I have a dial to adjust the foot pressure, do you have one? In my old machine the thread had cut a little trough where it was supposed to go through one of the thread guides. Every time a little thread bump caught in the slit it broke the thread and sometimes the needle. I fixed it by bypassing that thread guide and taped a little paper clip to the machine for a thread guide instead.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Well, I cleaned the dust from the bobbin case, and did a re-think as to the kind of thread I am using. It's ordinary Connecting Threads brand. I put some Mettler that is made for that, (40wt) AND just for good measure put the machine at its slowest speed. It is doing better. Guess it does not like Connecting anymore for satin stitch. It still works great for regular sewing though.

The foot for this machine is marked J. The manual says that is the one. So I guess I will go buy some more Mettler. :-)