Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
discouraged >

discouraged

discouraged

Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Welcome to this quilting talk show. We show and teach and learn.

First of all, starch and iron your fabric. Then cut. If your block ends do not match precisely, then shift them to the center of the joining block. Or else put sashing between them. Make an entire lap robe like that, I'll bet it will be eye catching. Have dramatic colors. Use whatever you have, old sheets, new materials, old cotton dresses or men's shirts. Our Grandmothers and Mothers used every thing that came in grabbing reach of their busy hands, and made lovely quilts with them. Then when you feel more in control of your sewing machine you can start on the fabulously intricate and lovely many pieced ones that are shown all the time on this forum.
From blocks then you can to to the Disappearing Nine Patch, and from there, anywhere you want to go.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Agree with everyone here, esp. the online resources. Look at as many YouTube videos as you can, check out basic quilting books from the library, etc... don't let something you can figure out with a few simple skills in place discourage you!!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM

pressing the seams with iron or finger pressing helps when you are sewing the blocks together. Sounds like you need to put down the book and just jump in and do it.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM

there is a book Quilting for dummys i refur to it quite often
Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanksfor the info on pressing squares etc

I haven't been into Quilters Cachefor quite awile. I know
she has such very good and helpful information. :thumbup:
Old 01-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

welcome! my library had somegood videos, maybe yours does!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 PM
alimaui

Welcome! I was taught to sew back when I was in high school, but have only picked it up again in the last few years.

I made a list for myself of all the places I find tutorials, because i can never remember where I saw stuff, but most of these bloggers, give step by step, photo directions of each thing they do. This is how I have improved my skills.

http://alimaui.blogspot.com/p/my-fav...tutorials.html

Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM

Carhop mentiones the book "Quilting for Dummies". Google "Quilting for Dummies.pdf". I got mine free somehere years ago, forgot where, but I have it in my files. I can e-mail the file to you if you post (Private Messages, maybe?) your e-mail address. The book is very clear and does cover the basics to get started, no too fancy stuff to mess your head up! Let me know, I read this board every morning (my time zone is in Europe).
Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Go to youtube.com and enter "quilting" in the search box. You will find lots of tutorials and ideas there.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Babes
Iwant to quilt. I started a quilt and put it aside as i read a book on making squares and i was off track. Now i have started just a block. i cannot afford the classes in my area and do not have any friends that do crafts. What is with all of this ironing seams this way and that? i read the board every day.
If you go to http://quiltinaday.com/theater/2300/2301.html you can watch Eleanor Burns show you all kinds of techniques for different blocks. She has lots of easy to follow videos that will help.