Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
in-the-ditch or all over stipple? >

in-the-ditch or all over stipple?

in-the-ditch or all over stipple?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Thank you for the quick responses. It seems the overall consensus is that I should soften the quilt a bit with the quilting. Looking at some meandering patterns (that is what I was trying to say when I said 'large stipple'). I might try practicing a meandering leaf pattern, since the quilt is meant for a nature loving man & I used all the colors of summer in the outdoors in the quilt. If I don't feel like I can get the hang of it in the next week or so, I'll stick to a more basic meander pattern... I'm a bit nervous though. I've only ever tried the meander on potholders. For bigger projects, I've always stuck to in-the-ditch.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Its a beautiful quilt! As for the quilting... I would not do either I would do a wide echo stitch that runs down the middle of the light strips and then on the batik area would quilt a square on point going contrary to the square of the batiks creating a diamond , I would do this about half way to the center of that batik square.
If I really wanted to keep the darkest sashing from shifting at all I would stitch right down the center of the dark. Sometimes I find the narrowest sashings will shift a bit and not appear to be the straight line they are before quilting. Since its the contrast is so great and draws you eye to that portion... I would stitch that dark sashing.
This is what I was thinking too! Stitching down the center of the dark strips and in the white on either side will give a unique cornerstone effect where the lines cross at the block intersections. If one square on point isn't enough quilting for your batting requirements you could echo the shape. For the sashing stitching I would match the threads to the material colors or use monofilament. Your quilt is beautiful!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:06 AM

I like LoriS suggestion of stabilizing by quilting right down the center of the black sashing. I took a Craftsy class where the instructor recommended STD with bottom line thread prior to any decorative quilting. It really works. Your quilt is so striking. Thanks for sharing the pattern name.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Its a beautiful quilt! As for the quilting... I would not do either I would do a wide echo stitch that runs down the middle of the light strips and then on the batik area would quilt a square on point going contrary to the square of the batiks creating a diamond , I would do this about half way to the center of that batik square.
If I really wanted to keep the darkest sashing from shifting at all I would stitch right down the center of the dark. Sometimes I find the narrowest sashings will shift a bit and not appear to be the straight line they are before quilting. Since its the contrast is so great and draws you eye to that portion... I would stitch that dark sashing.
Lori S has made an excellent suggestions. I prefer to do quilting that will enhance the piecing of the quilt top. You have made a very beautiful quilt top with the selection of your fabrics. For those who can stitch straight, try an decorative stitch. I love the look of hand quilting and use that as my guide when I machine quilt. I would start by stitching the dark sashing in the ditch first before trying anything else. Be sure you have support (such as a table) right next to your left side so the quilt is supported thru the quilting process. Put an ironing board in front of the machine so that also supports the quilt. when I was taught to machine quilt over two decades ago, I was told to roll up the excess of a quilt and toss it on my left shoulder. THAT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME! Support is extremely important when quilting any quilt.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Missouri.

I do a lot of large stipples on my quilts. I love doing it and love the look. Seems faster but, uses more thread. Straight line stitching uses less thread but to me is not as fast and harder to move the quilt around.
Your quilt, your decision.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

How about a wavy line cross hatch following each side of the brown sashing so there would be no SITD or stipple which can also be hard to do on a home machine on a big quilt.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

DITTO and repeat!
Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
Stitch in the ditch is very hard for me to keep straight, so I would do a large stipple. Your quilt is very pretty!!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:24 PM

Very pretty, I'd do stitch in the ditch.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:26 AM

I would stitch in the ditch on the brown and maybe the white then meander/stipple inside of that
Old 04-10-2014, 02:38 AM

This is very interesting to me, as I am making a quilt with 1/2" sashing (sounds weird, I know, but the fabrics are very dainty). How wide is the brown sashing in the picture? If I went down the middle of the 1/2", wouldn't it disappear?

What is an echo stitch?

Thanks,
Charlotte