Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
in-the-ditch or all over stipple? >

in-the-ditch or all over stipple?

in-the-ditch or all over stipple?

Old 04-10-2014, 03:08 AM

It is more difficult for a beginner to do in the ditch so that it does not look untidy. You should make sure you have a walking foot on the machine before you start and do not always go in the one direction ( so that you don't distort the quilt). In my opinion, you stand a better chance of success if you do a relatively large stipple using fmq with a hopping foot. All the best.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:00 AM

Beautiful Quilt! Since I never seem to stay in the ditch when I attempt it, I always stipple on large quilts.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 AM

Love your quilt! I would suggest an all over meander ( which technically is larger and more open than a stipple) for one thing because turning and turning and turning and turning your quilt to stitch in th ditch is very co besom with a large quilt like yours. Also, I think having some "movement" like a meander will give it on a geometric quilt is very visually interesting. Please show us when it's done!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:57 AM

Stitch in the ditch can be hard on such a large quilt...maybe the large meander is the better idea. Although I do like the idea of SITD for the brown. I agree with someone above who thought the large meander would soften the quilt. Although if the quilt is for a man, maybe that's not necessary. Maybe echo quilting or some other pattern in the white space would be good.

One thing I do when I can't decide is to get a large roll of string from the $ store, and lay the string out in the quilting pattern I'm thinking about. And then step back to see what it looks like. Sometimes the answer is more clear that way.

Good luck deciding! It's a very pretty quilt!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Its a beautiful quilt! As for the quilting... I would not do either I would do a wide echo stitch that runs down the middle of the light strips and then on the batik area would quilt a square on point going contrary to the square of the batiks creating a diamond , I would do this about half way to the center of that batik square.
If I really wanted to keep the darkest sashing from shifting at all I would stitch right down the center of the dark. Sometimes I find the narrowest sashings will shift a bit and not appear to be the straight line they are before quilting. Since its the contrast is so great and draws you eye to that portion... I would stitch that dark sashing.
I totally agree with Lori on this one
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 AM

All over stipple hides more sins! When I try to do anything in a straight line, I get puckers!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 AM

beautiful quilt, the recipient is going to love it ... I'm enjoying reading the replies and agree that SITD can be difficult, looking forward to seeing a photo of your finished quilt to see what your decision on the quilting turned out to be
Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 AM

This is a interesting and timely topic for me. I'm wondering if you plan to SITD every seam before doing other quilting. I've heard that one should do that, but I'm not an expert, that's for sure! I've pinned a jelly roll race quilt sandwich and am pondering my next move, having never quilted anything more than a tote bag.

Your quilt top is beautiful! Good luck with the quilting!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:18 PM

You may be new but the quilt looks like it was done by someone who wasn't new to quilting. Beautiful colors and setting.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 PM

If it were mine, I would stitch in the ditch on either side of the narrow brown strips, then on the inside of the white sashings. Once that was all done, I'd do my meandering/stippling on the green centers. Or you could leave out the stitch in the ditch along the white sashings, and treat the entire inside block with your meandering/stippling. Very pretty quilt!