Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ditterent brands of fabric. >

Ditterent brands of fabric.

Ditterent brands of fabric.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Ditterent brands of fabric.

I am in my late 40's and just started quilting, as I have looked at QB, I have noticed some say about the name brand of fabrics, I didn't know such things. Could or would some one explain to me about this, are some better then others? What name is the best? And why? Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM

There is a difference in fabrics. I pick up fabric and feel it. I buy Mary Englebreit fabric from WalMart and some VIP and Cranston that is every bit as good as Moda. There are many name brand fabrics and you will pay for them. I don't know about PA prices but in the St.Louis area fabric is now $9/a yard to $10.99/a yard at the local quilt stores. I do buy fabric at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby and have been quite happy with them, but I still feel the fabric first. And I wash all my fabric. Just came home with some Raspberry Batik made by Bentarex and washed it. The water was bright cherry color through 5 rinses. I like a nice tight weave and a smooth soft feel to my fabric, everyone is different though.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I don't think there is one single best (or worst) brand.

One thing you will want to look for is the quality of the printing (unroll a yard, and check it for flaws or irregularities in the print). How many colors are in the design? (See how many color dots are along the edge.) More colors means a greater depth and richness to the design.

Touch the fabric; run your hand across it to feel if it is rougher or smoother. The way a fabric feels is very important to most people! Some of the inexpensive fabrics in the chain stores are definitely rough or stiff; these are fine for crafting and charity projects but you might not want them for a heirloom quilt for your family, or for clothing.

And while you're touching that fabric, if it's a dark color see if the dye rubs off on your fingertips. (That is a bad sign.)

Some fabrics are thicker/beefier than others. You will probably develop your own preference.

All the above details you can determine before buying. But as to whether a fabric will shrink badly or lose color/run in the wash, you won't find out until AFTER you've purchased it. So it would be a good idea to get yourself a little notebook, and if you run across fabrics that misbehave, write yourself a note to not purchase that kind again.

My own preferences:

Softest to the touch: Studio E (they mainly do prints) and RJR's Cotton Supreme solids

Beefiest fabric: Michael Miller, Timeless Treasures, and Robert Kaufman have been very consistent through the years.

Excellent printing of intricate designs: Elizabeth's Studio

Best metallic prints (if you like the sparkle): Blank Quilting, Hoffman, Robert Kaufman

Of the chain-store brands, I think VIP/Cranston is the best.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Yount View Post
I am in my late 40's and just started quilting, as I have looked at QB, I have noticed some say about the name brand of fabrics, I didn't know such things. Could or would some one explain to me about this, are some better then others? What name is the best? And why? Thanks
Be careful! Some people will tell you that the only fabric you should use is at quilt shops. You will certainly find some good fabric there, but you can also find some real duds and at a really high price. You can find lovely fabric at JoAnn's, WalMart, thrift stores and yard sales. You can also find some real trash in those places.What you are looking for is appearance and something called "hand."
Hand is how the fabric feelsin your hand. If you can, get someone who is not a fabric snob and who knows about fabric to go to several different stores with you. As you handle the fabric, you will begin to be able to tell what is good quality and what is not.

I love Cranston and VIP (made, I think, by the same company) and can get it at WalMart. AE Nathan makes some lovely fabric at lower prices than some of the "big" names. I also love Blank fabrics, made by Blank textiles, but they are hard for me to find in my area.

Google quilt fabrics and you will find an abundance of information to read. Keep in mind that our ancestors made exquisite quilts from what was left of work shirts, skirts, and dresses that were mostly worn out and that they also used flour and feed sacks. Don't overlook blends ( quick, call the quilt police).

Mostly, have the courage to experiment. froggyintexas
Old 12-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Use whatever fabric you want! It doesn't have to be a "designer" fabric. To me, the feel of the fabric is more important than the name stamped on the selvege. If a "no name" fabric is tightly woven and feels nice to me and I like it, I will buy it. I always pre-wash due to skin allergies and I have had fabrics that are considered "2nd rate" run AS WELL AS the LQS fabrics. It all depends on the dyes they use. Batiks will run so they should always be pre-washed if possible because they are "over dyed". The most important thing to remember is that it is YOUR quilt, you are allowed to do anything you want to with it, including what materials you use to construct it! Don't worry about what is right or wrong, it is all subjective!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 PM

I have books by quilters who have quilts in museum collections. This seems to be a high recommendation of their skills and quality of their work, and they all have used unusual fabric, usually hand woven fabric from very out of the way places in other countries, a variety of types of fabrics such as velvet, wool, satin, etc. The one thing they all say about the fabric is that it has to have a reason to be chosen. By itself it has to have a reason to be in the quilt, usually because of the texture or unusual color. If it is not tightly woven then they stablize it. The one thing all the quilters seem to say is that there is NO fabric that does not go into their quilts if they like the fabric.
If they can use any fabric, so can we if we are willing to do what is necessary to make it useable.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I have books by quilters who have quilts in museum collections. This seems to be a high recommendation of their skills and quality of their work, and they all have used unusual fabric, usually hand woven fabric from very out of the way places in other countries, a variety of types of fabrics such as velvet, wool, satin, etc. The one thing they all say about the fabric is that it has to have a reason to be chosen. By itself it has to have a reason to be in the quilt, usually because of the texture or unusual color. If it is not tightly woven then they stablize it. The one thing all the quilters seem to say is that there is NO fabric that does not go into their quilts if they like the fabric.
If they can use any fabric, so can we if we are willing to do what is necessary to make it useable.
WOW, perfect! If it can be sewn it can be used!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 PM

Don't let it stress you out. I use all different kinds of fabric. Purchased fabric, old sheets, cut up old clothes. As long as I can't see my hand through the fabric when I hold it up to the light it's useable.

You are going to run into some Quilt Police who are going to be not so nice and tell you, "THAT'S WRONG!!! YOU CAN'T DO IT LIKE THAT!!!! IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!!" When you do, you just smile and tell them to kiss your booty (something at my mooning smilie)

Do what makes YOU happy!

Last edited by COYOTEMAGIC; 12-29-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 AM

If my hand touches it, it most probably will be used in a quilt. I have used old dresser scarves in a winning quilt. Beautiful old crocheted lace with cotton backing was used as inset borders. If it looks right, use it.if its flimsy, back it and use it. However, if it's threadbare in places, save yourself a lot of grief and don't use it as its too far gone at that point. But, it could be salvaged and used in a wall hanging. No fabric should ever be wasted.