Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do any of you have 14yo girls at home?  A question... >

Do any of you have 14yo girls at home? A question...

Do any of you have 14yo girls at home? A question...

Old 05-08-2010, 05:51 PM

I know that it depends on personal taste, etc, but still there's a general style that I'm so not up on anymore.... I was thinking of making a pretty pillowcase as a gift for my niece (the one that just lost her mother, my sister) and I was wondering if any of you could point me towards some fabric that she might like. (I just don't want to pick out something that is "old lady"! :lol: )

(and as a bonus, if you happen to have a yard of it and want to sell it, please pm me! Can I say that here??)
Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 PM

Do you know her favorite colors? My 13 Year old granddaughter wanted purple and orange! Weird but I did find fabric with those colors in it!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:54 PM

I have a pretty teen-like 11 year old girl -- I can tell you that peace signs are very in right now, as are greens/purples/blues. Someone just picked up some nice peace sign fabric at Joann's and posted it...I thought it would be perfect for my daughter!!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:55 PM

I can't find my camera, but! Anything by Amy Butler or in the Moda BakeShop Lines would work for a14 year old girl. Find out what color she likes, and go from there.

I have Lots of fabrics that might do. If you are stuck, PM me. Just let me know what kind of colors and I can fix you up.

Maggie
Old 05-08-2010, 05:56 PM

What are the colors in her room? Can you match that way? Hot bright colors. Like Hot Pink. Nothing too pastel. Nothing too "pretty flower." Like big bold bright ones are ok. But little flowers and such no. Something like purple zebra print would be fun. All depends on what she likes. Chocolate brown with blue or pink. I dunno. just some ideas. That's what my sister likes. :) I'm sorry for your loss
Old 05-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Also, look at a pottery barn teen catalogue or website. You'll see what's in fabric and color-wise.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Most girls that age like tie dye stuff as well and the Amy Butler fabrics but I would check on her favorite color first. She may be one of the few that likes pastels.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Pam

I am so sorry about your sister.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM

I don't have a clue what her fav color is.... and I'm almost afraid to ask. I'm afraid she'll be disappointed when she finds out that I was asking just for a pillowcase.... (I immediately thought of making them all quilts - yeah, in 3 weeks and I haven't even finished my first yet - that's why I scaled back to a pillowcase! :lol: The boys are getting a special "mud" soap - they had told my sister years ago that I should make a soap like dirt, so they're easy enough)
Old 05-08-2010, 06:20 PM

my 13 1/2 yo loves lime green...you know that really bright obnoxious green? Oh and hot pink.