Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do blocks need to be squared? >

Do blocks need to be squared?

Do blocks need to be squared?

Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Hi! I am on my second project, a twin size quilt I am making from $1 a yard fabrics (good deal). My first project was a wall hanging that isn't getting hung! My question is...do my blocks need to be squared before I put them together? There will be no sashing and I am still debating a border?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-263245.jpe  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

It helps to keep everything straight when assembling the whole quilt. Let me be the first to admit that I don't always square mine up. :-)
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM

I second what cjomomma said.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM

I usually square my blocks. In the case of your quilt, if they are fairly even (within an eighth of an inch) I would leave them, as you will have plenty of opportunities to even the edges when matching the seams. Hope that you remembered to press to the dark fabric which will make seam matching much easier. Also remember to put the block to be 'eased in' on the bottom as the feed dogs will help to take care of the excess. This quilt is going to be a 'big bargain'. I always like to put on a border, however small, to stop the 'action' of the quilt. Good Luck...it looks like you are on your way to a quilting future.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

The more that you square as you go, the squarer the end product will be .... and the better it will all look!

It may not seem like it needs it, but even just a thread out on each block can add up to a totally wonky look at the end.

It doesn't take long to do the job as you go ... and you'll be oh so much happier in the end!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

if you square up as you go you wind up with a quilt that goes together a heck of alot easier-than when each block is wonky=
a little trimming here & there can make a world of difference in the finished product.
also less head ache later-and it's easier to square it up a block at a time than the whole quilt when it's all together
Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM

When I first started quilting I didn't square my blocks and ended up with some pretty wonky quilts. Now I've seen the light and square as I go along. Shouldn't be a problem with the blocks you have but a word of warning: Be careful not to cut off points when squaring. The first time I squared I whacked the points off most of my triangles. YIKES! But we learn as we go and I'm still proud of that quilt.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I started squaring each block and have been much happier with my results!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM

I do square, but only after I've made all the blocks that I need for the quilt. Then I see what I average for the measurements - and go with that one. That said, I always leave a small amount for fudge room.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 PM

Squaring blocks, or even within the blocks, can make a world of difference later on in the process. It's an excellent habit to get in to from the beginning.