Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do borders and bindings need to match?

Do borders and bindings need to match?

I am making a quilt and did not buy enough fabric for the binding! Do the borders and bindings need to match? What about the backing? I usually have borders, bindings and backing match. What are the rules or recommendations for a lap quilt?

mine never match. I think of them as accent.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I usually pick some colors in the fabric and go with that. They don't necessarily have to match.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

No rmules. Do what lends itself to the quilt and fabric.

there are NO RULES! you can make it any way you want- and if you 'browse' the pictures catagory here you will find many many pictures of quilts with bindings totally different than borders- and backs a whole different quilt---you can do it any way you like-it's your project! if we all made them alike what would be the point?
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Mine never match, enjoy using accent colors
    Sandy

Sometimes the coolest quilt comes from fabric shortage. I like the mental challenge.

Sometimes my binding match and sometimes they coordinate. A quilting buddy of mine likes to use striped fabric (on the bias) for her binding.....just depends on the quilt.

As far as backings, I love to piece things together for my back. If I have leftover fabrics or blocks, they get incorporated into the back. Makes the back interesting!

Mine never match. I look for a pattern that brings out something I want to highlight in the blocks and make continuous bias binding. I may make an exception for my Dear Jane only because it's so busy and I don't want eyes drawn to the binding.
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

for me, the binding is the last border or frame to the pieced top.....sometimes it will match the last border, sometimes it will match the backing....sometimes it matches nothing....just depends on what fabric is available and the look I am trying to achieve....sometimes it is a many colored thing with WOF strips from several different fabrics!

Mine seldom match. I NEVER buy enough fabric so I use what I have to compensate, or go to my LQS and go through their remnants for something suitable. Remember Rule #1: There are NO RULES!!!
    Linda

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast