Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to use a binding?

Or can I just sandwich it inside out, stitch three edges, turn it right side out and blind stitch the last edge? I'm trying to save some time..Or will that look stupid?

Sure you can do it like that, but I wouldnt leave the entire last side undone., just leave an opening big enough to turn the quilt back through. When done like this they are usually tied, but I think some have quilted them this way too.

It feels like cheating..lol..But This quilt has to be done in the next 3 days..So I'm trying to shave some time off..Plus I've never done the binding before..My hubby is loving it already and the top is not quite together yet..Close though

Sure hope to see pictures of it :wink:

Once you turn the sandwich & close it, if you stitch all the way around, about 1/2" to 3/8" from the edge, it will look similar to binding. A faux binding! :D

Quote Originally Posted by zyxquilts
    Once you turn the sandwich & close it, if you stitch all the way around, about 1/2" to 3/8" from the edge, it will look similar to binding. A faux binding! :D

I done several just the same way.

You can also leave 1-2inches of the backing extended and turn the back to the front and machine stitch down. I have done that in the past. M

Banned
    The no-binding method is called "birthing a quilt" and, to my way of thinking, if a technique has a name, it isn't cheating! Here is just one of many sites with instructions. http://www.fabriclandwest.com/quilte...hing_quilt.htm

I've seen them with ruffles around it and boy was it nice.

Last year at the wings falls quilt show they had a display of old quilts, and some of them were finished this way...others appeared to be turned under and sewn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast