Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a class?

Do I need a class?

I have admired the Labyrinth quilts several folks have posted and have wanted to make one. My LQS has a class scheduled in September. My question is - is it so difficult that I really need a class? I have been making quilts for a number of years and consider myself intermediate to advanced. And I have no problems following directions. What do you all think - should I spend the $50 on a class or on the fabric to make it myself?

it is not a difficult pattern for someone who has some experience- you should be fine without the class. i think the people who (may) NEED the class would be beginners who want help to choose their fabrics, and someone to walk step by step with them while they sew- or someone who finds it simpler to just take a class & get something done (as aposed to) starting on it & putting it aside-
    some people simply like taking project classes.
    but it doesn't sound as if you look for interesting classes just to take a class- so pick up the pattern & make the quilt
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    It's one of the easiest patterns - squares and HST, you just have to pay attention to the layout. Save the $50 for fabric or another class that really is tough.
    Joyce

Blog Entries
    I would say take the class but not that I don't think you couldn't follow the pattern. I don't take classes just to learn how to make something, I like spending the day with other quilters and enjoying my day out. That is worth the class fee to me. I always learn something even if the class isn't what I expected.
    Got fabric?

I don't usually take classes unless I have tried to do something and have had major trouble. Such as a Mariner's Compass and FMQ from Harriet Hargrave. I do try to take one class a year sponsored by my quilt guild to give support but I'll choose something that has a technique I want to try.

classes help local shops stay in business, are great ways to meet new people and create community and you learn some pretty great tips and tricks, usually.

depending on how much $50 means to you and what's important in the above, you might weigh more than brute knowledge return in your decision

aileen

I like classes they help me get more done than i would on my own, plus they are fun to see everyones project progress

Blog Entries
    I have the pattern - now feel comfortable doing it my self.
    Quilting in the Desert

I agree with JOYCE888. This is a very easy quilt to make and goes together quickly. Just watch the placement of the blocks. I made a large one, then using 2 1/2" squares, made a wall hanging.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you don't need the class. I am in a funk and need any class to get me sewing again. So, I am going to take a class and am excited about being with a group of quilters for the day. Even if I don't need directions. I need a kick start. Doesn't sound like you do. Save your $50. And by the way, last class I took was $25. OMG! $50. That's a lot of money! I hope my class is an all day class for that amount! It has one of the best teachers in the area. She keeps you laughing and teaches all kinds of new tricks. But $50? Wow! It's been a while for me. I live in a town of 600 people. Not use to spending that much money on a class.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast