Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need an computerized machine? >

Do I need an computerized machine?

Do I need an computerized machine?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 AM
CRO

Thank you all for the imput. It gives me a lot to think about. The machine I have now was very cheap and does not sew well at all, even the straight stitch so the one I buy will be used for everything. Every dealer I went to had no used machines, but you gave me good ideas.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 PM

I'd love to hear what you decide to get! Keep us updated?
Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have two machines , one computerized the other a vintage machine. The vintage has its limits, but is an amazing work horse. The newer computerized machine has one distinct advantage over the vintage... that is the specialized feet I can buy and use. More than the extra stiches that I don't use that often... I do use the special feet ALOT on my computerized machine.
I am the same and agree with this totally!! I use the different feet on my computerized machine all the time for different projects and absolutely love using them! They allow me to be more creative and make the job easy. I use both the computerized and mechanical for general piecing. The mechanical is a real work horse!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:20 AM

It really depends on what you want to do on your sewing machine now and in the future, cause hopefully it will last you for several years. I chose non-computerized. I don't make clothes,don't do any kind of decorative sewing. I only use my machine for sewing my quilt tops together. The kind I chose is a basic one that I can do the weekly maintenance on is the better choice for me.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:45 AM

My mom pieced quilts for many years on a Singer treadle machine. Treadles are for people who like to sort of relax while they sew, peaceful sewing, utter control because of the foot pedal. I loved it too and it now lives with my daughter. We will keep it in the family. NO you don't have to have a computerized machine but you will get spoiled by automatic threaders, thread cutters, knee lifts, etc. I have both kinds and use them.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 AM

I have had 3 Janomes. I love them, the one I sew on at home is a 6600 but it is pretty heavy to cart around to classes so I have a DC2007LE for traveling. I love the knee lift on my machine and the even feed feet(not sure that is the correct term).
Quilted by Vicki
Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 AM

My rule of thumb is, think at where you want to be in 5 years with your sewing. If the machine will end up with more time in the bottom of the closet, then don't spend high $$ on it now. If you want your sewing skills to grow, get a machine you will grow into, not out of.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by CRO View Post
Thank you all for the imput. It gives me a lot to think about. The machine I have now was very cheap and does not sew well at all, even the straight stitch so the one I buy will be used for everything. Every dealer I went to had no used machines, but you gave me good ideas.
A used machine, from the 60s or 70s will be mechanical, but will have a few decorative stitches. My mother's old White machine has cams for a number of decorative stitches. My old Kenmore from the 70s doesn't have much in the way of decorative stitches, but it DOES have a blanket stitch. Both of those machines weigh a ton, but are still working perfectly. They sew through just about any fabric you can fit under the needle, and they will outlast me. The best part is because they are mechanical, I can service them myself.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 AM

I would never buy another machine that does not have a blanket stitch . I make lots of kids quilts with machine applique and use the blanket stitch all the time. I take my regular Kenmore to classes and my computerized machines do the fancy work at home. They all have their own job.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:19 PM

I ran into the same issue this past November. I am a newbie to quilting and to sewing. I did not have a lot of money and wanted to buy the best I could afford. I ended up with the Emerald 118 and am very happy. It has been a work horse. Since being in between jobs, I have been sewing just about every day and have made various sizes of quilts up to a Queen. I have had no problems with the Emerald. It is a joy to sew.
I tried other machines each having a different feel and sound when sewing. For me, I found the Emerald 118 quieter and had a sturdier feeling. I will tell you, I was drooling over the Viking Ruby with the quilting attachment. Do I embroider - no- but ....I will learn. In the mean time, I will keep by Emerald and when time is right just by the Ruby.