Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need some sort of quilt frame? >

Do I need some sort of quilt frame?

Do I need some sort of quilt frame?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Alrighty,

So my first 2 quilts I did a simple "Stitch in the Ditch" with my walking foot. Then Amma gave me a great idea to use a serpentine stitch for my next try....BRILLIANT...my machine has a TONS of stitches and I didn't even think of that.

Anyway I was thinking of machine quilting most of my quilt first, then perhaps going back and doing a few decorative quilting stitches by hand quilting.

Do I need a quilt frame for this? Or can I simply use a wooden cross stitch frame, beings it would all already be quilted?

Again....I appreciate all of your help!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

When I first quilted, I only tied them. Then I decided to actually hand quilt and I use a hoop. It is about 14 inches across. I love it. Holds the fabric very nicely. I would reccomend it because it sort of stablizes the fabric. I hope that makes sense.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 AM

I would use a hoop. I can't visualize your cross-stitching frame. When I do cross-stitching I use a hoop that's depth is narrow. For quilting I use a wooden hoop that probably about 1/2 - 3/4" deep. Does that make sense? It just holds everything better.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 PM

I have one of these hoops from Joann's fabric. They are lovely! I even have the floor model frame of the same brand and LOVE it! I am using this smaller hand held one to hand quilt my daughters crib quilt.
The quilt is held tightly and doesn't slip in the frame. You can loosen the tension on the quilt just by rotating the holders (can't think of the right word)
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...ODID=prd791567
Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Since you will have already machine quilted it you can probably just hold it in your hands to handquilt. I usually do all of my large quilts entirely by hand. I use a large round floor hoop. When I get to the outside borders I often take it completely off of the frame and lay it on my ping pong table and then just pick up the edges that need quilting and work there without a hoop or whatever. The table holds the weight evenly and I can pull a chair up under the edge of the table so I can pull the quilt close enough to me to get my hand underneath while I am handquilting.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:48 AM

I don't hand quilt with a frame, never have. I just hold in my lap and keep turning. it works
Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
I have one of these hoops from Joann's fabric. They are lovely! I even have the floor model frame of the same brand and LOVE it! I am using this smaller hand held one to hand quilt my daughters crib quilt.
The quilt is held tightly and doesn't slip in the frame. You can loosen the tension on the quilt just by rotating the holders (can't think of the right word)
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...ODID=prd791567
I might actually like one of these..wish I could try it

:thumbup:
Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
When I first quilted, I only tied them. Then I decided to actually hand quilt and I use a hoop. It is about 14 inches across. I love it. Holds the fabric very nicely. I would reccomend it because it sort of stablizes the fabric. I hope that makes sense.
I have never used a hoop, I did buy one to try.