Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I really have to clip my rag quilt?

I am ALMOST finished with the rag quilt for my SIL's birthday (his birthday is today 4/7) and could probably have it done by tonight if I don't have to clip all the edges. I made the quilt out of flannel fabric and the fabric is REALLY ravelling a lot on it's own, so do I really have to clip the edges or will it "rag" well enough on it's own? I want to do the best thing for a nice quilt as my DSIL so shyly, and sweetly asked me to make him a quilt after I gave all the grandchildren quilts for Christmas and he got a shirt :roll: That just made my day that he wants a quilt from me.

You could go on and give it to him and if it seems to need help later, clip then...sounds like it might be OK now though.

Blog Entries
    I have NEVER not clipped so I can't say for sure, but I would think that it would not ravel as nicely. You could make chunkier clips , to make it go faster . Just a thought

Blog Entries
    I think after it is washed, it will look messier than ravelly... and it would be much harder to clip at that point... maybe you could have a clipping party at the party, to make it go quicker?

I would think that if you didn't clip, you are going to have threads coming off in long rows, rather than just smaller tags and this could make a real mess tangling up!

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I think after it is washed, it will look messier than ravelly... and it would be much harder to clip at that point... maybe you could have a clipping party at the party, to make it go quicker?
    great idea.

Blog Entries
    can you take it to the party and clip it there

YES then wash at the laundrymat when no one is around because it will shed a lot.

I once had 6 ladies from work to make a rag quilt for the sick son of the manager. It took us about 5 hours. My husband cooked. When the quilt went into the washer we ate and after dessert it was dry and we had coffee and tea while clipping. It was a great day. You could bring several pairs of scissors and have anyone available to help.

I saw a video today, the guy used a weed eater to fray the edges of his rag quilt.....LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast