Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I really have to undo it all? >

Do I really have to undo it all?

Do I really have to undo it all?

Old 11-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Wash it and it will never be a problem.....be sure to wash it in cold water......I'd probably use a color catcher too, since you are using a red.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 AM

It looks a little torqued to me, as in not entirely straight -- the fabric has become somewhat angled or twisted. That may have happened with your first line of quilting if the sandwich was not tight, and then got worse as you quilted more lines. It will probably look fine when washed. Unless it looks worse than the photos show, I wouldn't take it all out.

I got a back on crooked and didn't realize until it was fully quilted. I didn't take it out, just chalked it up to experience. Now I check the back carefully before I begin and stop periodically and check it again.

Last edited by Friday1961; 11-06-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:09 AM

It looks good from here: no pleats or folds. Use some of the suggestions offered here and move on. I have an old-fashioned quilting frame that I can use for basting just so I can keep the back straight. I am a proponent of basting the daylights out of a quilt. Hope you find something that pleases you, short of taking your basting out.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

As a "newbie, I think you are being too hard on yourself. Yes, there may be some puffiness, however, washing will probably take that away and it will not be noticed. I'd say leave it alone, just straighten out the remainder and you will have a beautiful quilt.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:50 PM

Once you wash it, some of the problems will flatten themselves out. I wouldn't take it out and esp. since this is your first quilt, I'd rejoice--not be too hard on myself. I'm also in the "finished is better" crowd. Keep going but keep checking your work. Doing chevrons is hard, I'm sure because of the angles at which you are having to quilt.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 PM

It'll never be noticed on a galloping horse and that's the only kind I ride. It looks fine. Ripping out doesn't help you learn to machine quilt better. Spend your time on quilting!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Being a "newbie" means its a learning experience, the batting is probably adding some of the poofy- ness, it still looks pretty good & there aren't any real wrinkles, tucks, areas that I would feel need to be fixed. I would not take it out. Years and numerous quilts from now you will be able or look at this one and see how far you have come, improved. If you can live with it, do so... It looks good! Don't be hard on yourself. When it's finished and laundered I bet you won't even notice chose areas.
I agree 100% !!! My favorite quilt to this day is my first..I made GLARING mistakes on that..but I love it! With every quilt I make, I still learn something.
The backing on this is nowhere near a HUGE issue..no one but you will ever see anything wrong with it. Keep it..enjoy it..and make many, many more ! LOL
Old 11-06-2015, 11:13 PM

Doing straight rows you should go in opposite directions not all the same direction. It may be the later that caused the puffiness.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:11 AM

But Dottymo if I was going in opposite directions doesn't that mean that I would be getting more and more bulk in the harp space every second run?
Old 11-07-2015, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Doing straight rows you should go in opposite directions not all the same direction. It may be the later that caused the puffiness.
When I do straight rows (with a walking foot) I always go in the same direction. I figure if it's going to "move" - I want it all to move in the same direction, instead of creating zigzag moves.