Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do I Really Need That??

I'm making a quilt, a star pattern. The instructions require me to purchase a 41/2" triangle ruler....really??? Do I really need to do that? I tried making one block using my regular reqtangular ruler and it worked ok but took many steps to figure where to cut. When they say 4 1/2" are they talking about the horizontal, vertical, or angular measurement? Or from the point straight accross to the edge? I really don't want to buy another ruler when they ask for the one I happen to not have.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    My favorite square ruler, virtually required in all classes I teach, is the 8" Bias Square by That Patchwork Place. Buy it online for about $10.95.

It is the ONLY ruler like it on the market with full 1/8" lines in both directions and a distinct diagonal line. I use it for squaring up nearly every block I sew at some point.

Jan in VA

Which star pattern is it? Maybe someone on here has made it and can tell you alternate methods. I'd have to know what kind of triangle it is before I could even guess what alternate methods might work.

Blog Entries
    I think by the time I figure out how the correct measuring lines on a ruler I already have to turn it into a specialty ruler, I could have bought the ruler and been done with it. I just don't think rulers are anything to have to justify buying one or not.