Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Do most of you wash fat quarters

Growing up, I was taught to prewash everything...more for the shrinkage factor than the bleeding. This was for clothing construction. I still prewash as I find that even LQS fabrics can be just a bit "off" after washing. I would rather know that before I put hours into a quilt and then have the quilt skew after its' first washing.

Patti

If the fat quarters are from a quality, higher end manufacturer I don't wash them. Chain store fat quarters should probably be prewashed.

I use a mesh bag for fat quarters and also throw a towel in the washer. This helps alot.

If it is a dark colour I would wash it, or at least do the swab test. Mostly I don't prewash as I prefer the stiffness of the fabric when new. If I ever prewash I starch before cutting.
    I do pre-wash for swaps though as some people seem to have allergies to the dressing in the fabric.

I don't prewash my fabric,unless someone wants it that way, such as a swap etc. But you can do small pieces like fat qtrs in a salad spinner, instead of them getting all tangled in your washing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter2
    Today I bought fat quarters from the Black, White & Currant by Color Principle for Henry Glass collection. I'm trying to decide if I should wash and dry them. There is so much debate about this, what do most of you do? I'm sure this is on the board somewhere but I don't know how to look for it. All of you are so wonderful and helpful, its like all of you are friends. Happy New Year to everyone.
    Don't laugh but I put them in my salad spinner
    :oops: ,then iron them dry. LOL Liz

I never pre-wash my fabric. I like to sew on it while it still has some body and I like the look after it is washed as it puckers some. If I am concernd about colors running I put in a color catcher sheet for the first wash. You can find these in the detergent section of the grocery store. If you do have a quilt that runs, you can still save it by washing it with color remover that is sold with the fabric dies.

I washed my fat quarters today, put them in a mesh bag and used a color catcher sheet, put them in the dryer for a couple of minutes. Turned out great. Thanks for all you advice.

Banned
    Thanks for all the advice...I was wondering this myself....I think I'll gently prewash and slightly dry....

I soak both fat quarters and jelly roll pieces. I don't want to go through all of that work and find that something bleeds. Rather than washing and drying pieces in your machine (will fray terribly), just soak pieces in warm to hot water for about 20 minutes. Take pieces out of machine, squeeze out excess water and let dry on drying rack. This also helps with preventing shrinkage which can cause pieces to pucker later on.
    Arlene

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast