Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do Not buy Benartex Bali Darks Layer cakes if you want 10 x 10 inches !!

Do Not buy Benartex Bali Darks Layer cakes if you want 10 x 10 inches !!

I found these Benartex Bali Darks online and ordered them from a reputable company (no, I am not telling you the name because it's not their fault). I ordered one package of layer cakes intending to make a quilt for my grandson. Long Story Short: I called the company I ordered them from and they pulled off two packages and measured them and agreed with me that they are not 10" square. So I called Benartex in NYC. They will call the factory to check it out but I am putting a warning out right now that these layer cakes are not 10 inches square, maybe 9 3/4 inches, but definitely not 10 inches. Today's job for me: cutting about 100 charm squares down 1/8 inches or more to match the Benartex layer cakes that will also be cut into charms. (Are they still charms if they aren't 5" ?) I think I will have to buy more batik now because of the short layer cakes. Isn't quilting fun ?

Mainly why I don't buy pre-cuts. That, and value.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    This is not unusual. There have been many threads on this board about pre-cuts not being full-size; it's not just Benartex. Hoffman, Moda, Kaufman.... Someone said they contacted one of the manufacturers (can't remember which one) and was told they were working on getting the cuts more accurate, but who knows if that will ever happen. I consider it a "Buyer Beware" kind of thing, and take this information into account when I do sew with precuts.

Thanks for the warning. I was about to order some so now I am going to get yardage and cut my own.

I think you and I ordered the same layer cake.

Thank you for the warning, so sorry this happened!!!

I know a lot of quilters need the "full" sizes of their precuts but I usually only use them for small wall quilts and just need small amounts of each square so the sizes are better for me. I can get more assortment that way. I hope the manufactors finally learn to cut 10" etc.
    Kathy Osterby

Thanks for the info. I'll be watching carefully if/when I purchase layer cakes in the future!
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!