Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do people buy Accuquilt Dies for just one quilt?? >

Do people buy Accuquilt Dies for just one quilt??

Do people buy Accuquilt Dies for just one quilt??

Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 PM

Default Do people buy Accuquilt Dies for just one quilt??

I've been reading on the board people talking about dies, so I just now googled them.
They are a wonderful thing, but if one buys say a snowflake die, how many would you really use? Would you cut them and sell them? I can see squares and strips........... just wasn't sure about different shapes.
Just wondering how you would decide which shape you would use more than once to justify the cost.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 PM

I buy them for the ease & convenience - but I also let my friends use them if they want. Mine are mostly squares, strips, and circles. But also have the hexagons, the triangles to go with them, the double wedding ring and a diamond. A friend asked me is she wanted a specific die and would buy it would I let her use my machine and I said sure. I have thought about buying the log cabin die, but not really sure how it would work. But I do know some people that belong to guild share from time to time too.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 PM

I buy the shapes as I want to use the pieces for applique. I also have the apple core die, thought it would be more accurate than trying to cut them myself.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:47 PM

Like Nannie to 7 I have apple core but also stripes and triangles and squares that fit together when cut. I am careful not to buy one just for one quilt. I do have one friend with cutter now as well so my dies we swop. She got a machine plus cutters off ebay all in tip top position unused . I'm never so lucky.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 AM

I have the apple core die and right now I making the first one!

and I'm thinking in the log cabin. For stripes and squares I use the june tailor shape ruler. It is a wonder!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-25-2014 at 01:28 AM. Reason: pm
Old 08-25-2014, 02:09 AM

I have a lot of the dies and what I have found is that I really do not use the applique shapes. I do use the flowers every once in a while but not the birds, birdhouse, I used the cat twice for a label. Maybe someday will use them more. I do use the shapes all the time. Love the circle, tumbler, I have the logcabin but only made a few blocks. It is easy...I just had other projects going. I have a lot of dies...but have not used them all...just have not had enough time. Buy them as you decide to make a quilt...otherwise you will have a ton and let anything a bit overwheming.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 AM

I did buy the Ohio Star and the Hunter Star for one particular quilt each. I figured it was a $40 investment of my time and frustration in getting those "just right". Very happy with both.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

I haven't bought one because then there is the added expenses of all the accessories.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I have bought some dies knowing I'd probably only use them one time. I like the dies that make the whole quilt block pattern in one cut. They are called BOB, block on board for the Go. I share my dies with friends that have a cutter but I won't loan my cutter. I don't have thousands invested in a new machine or LA so the cost of dies are cheap in comparison.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 AM

I have that snowflake die. Once was enough for me. All those little turns and curves. That one is a paperweight. I have several I never use or used for one quilt. The ones I use most are the squares and the rag quilt die.