Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do quilt shows inspire you? >

Do quilt shows inspire you?

Do quilt shows inspire you?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:06 PM

I've only ever traveled for two quilt shows since I haven't been doing it that long, and I do look forward to seeing the quilts some just boggle my mind and I love to look at it, but wouldn't want to attempt lol

I take photos of the quilts I really like and hope to do at some point and they go into my inspiration binder. I cut out the patterns from quilt magazines of projects and fabric ads. I also like going around to the different vendors & checking out the different fabrics. I make a note of which ones to go back to after I check out all the other's prices.

I would ask the auntie and sister to come to you, why should you have to do all the driving, ask them to take an extra day or two and come visit you or come pick you up and take you to the show?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM

I go to the local shows, I don't travel more than 50 or 60 miles. With the price of gas going up all the time, I might not be able to do that. I usually come away from the shows inspired and ready to create. Then I get frustrated because life gets in the way and I don't have as much time as I would like to quillt. I would love to go to the International Quilt Market in Houston some day before I am too old. lol.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM

There are many small, local, shows here in Oregon, many with no vendors and many with no fees. Lots of inspiration. I video taped 3 last month that will be shown on local public TV stations in the next few months. Lots of fun
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM

I've never been to one. I'd probably (actually, I'm SURE I would be) be impressed, but then, I'd get buyer's lust and then just discouraged because I neither have the personality nor drive to do something as wonderful as they show at the "show".

But I do admire the quilts I see at local fairs--years and years ago we were at the AK state fair and I loved looking at the quilts there--that was before I did much quilting at all.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 AM

Hm, good question.

I enjoy seeing the fabulous creations that other people do. I am always amazed. But truly, I don't get my inspiration from quilt shows. My iinspiration comes when one of our two adult daughters says "Mom, would you make me a new snuggle quilt, please?"

When I walk into their homes and I see the quilts laying around, I know they are being used and for me, that is what this is about and why I do it. And if one of their cats happened to be snuggled up in the quilt, why, that just makes it home.

I don't tend to buy much from the local annual show. Many of the vendors are from 'away' and I always try to support my lqs and a couple of shops that aren't so local but have terrific sales corners.

Go, have a good time by giving yourself permission to make this about the people you love and not about the consumer end of it.

best.
d
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM

Yes, I love to go to shows. Yes, it can inspire me to recreate a quilt I have seen. Most of all it give me a chance to see the wonderful fabrics that my LQS has in action. I might love a fabric but not know what else I would use with it and see it in a quilt and there I go, off to use it on a new project. I also just love the art of it all. We have all gone to art exhibits where we did not buy anything. My DH even plans quilt shops and shows whenever possible into our 2 week holiday trip each year. Sometimes he will let me know about them, others he just stops in front of one and tells me he thought I would like to spend some time playing (and not to drool to much) Not all of my sewing projects have been keepers, but he sure is.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM

I've been going to the Hampton quilt show for the past 3 years and while I can't say that it has inspired me to come home and make a quilt I do enjoy it. I go several days; depending on what gets in my way. I love seeing what all have inspired others to make and take pictures of some of the quilts; especially the ones that my 5yr old grandsone really likes. I love seeing all of the gadgets. This year I was on the hunt for the silk ribbon because my applique teacher is teaching us how to make 3d flowers. I looked at some of the gadgets but most I could get locally at the same price so why bother. I did splurge and get stablizer and embroidery thread from a local vendor because it was really reduce during the show. I'm on a really thight budget now so spending a lot wasn't going to happen but you pay once and can go as many times as you want so yes, I went and had a blast. I wish I could have went every day. We also had our local shop hop going on at the same time so I did that the first day. This year each store gave out a free 1/2 yard of fabric.