Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do quilters believe that imitation..... >

Do quilters believe that imitation.....

Do quilters believe that imitation.....

Old 09-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

If it is for your personal use, then I think it is a compliment. I am fed up with the way quilting is going with copywrites and ownership issues. Where would quilting be today without the free exchange of ideas and patterns from the past?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Annie68 View Post
Anything posted online or anywhere is copyrighted.
I don't think so.....
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Go ahead and make it . I am sure you probably did not get the exact fabrics. and copyright only pertains to words... and only some images. The nike swosh is a trademark and a whole different set of laws come into play for a Trademark.
Yes immitation is the most sincere form of flattery... unless you are going to profit from anothers work... but even then when it comes to design there is little protection under the law... that why there are so many knock-offs the day after a show... ask any dress designer. The only time this is a issue is when a "false label( example Coach purse labels) ", trademark. You could make all the Coach type bags you want... but the minute you put the Coach name on it is when there is a problem.
I know if I posted a quilt and someone liked it enough to make a copy .. I would be flattered.

Last edited by Lori S; 09-10-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If it is for your personal use, then I think it is a compliment.
I agree. I would be flattered if I were the person being copied. They say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". I have a ton of patterns/quilts copied into my file called "quilt ideas". Some of them I just love the pattern and some I really like the way they did it--and I may do something similar. Is that breaking a copyright? I don't believe so...how could it be? That would be like saying sewing some designer's jacket (instead of buying it) and copying it almost identically is somehow "wrong" (or stealing). I don't see it at all.

Edited to say, that I see that Lori S. and I were typing at the same time.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM

Even from a law prospective 'original' designs in quilting are 'iffy' about copyrights...There are very few true 'originals' when it comes to traditional pieced quilting. Perhaps a variation, or a special color palette, but not anything that could warrant a true copyright. There is a spot online with 'free' patterns and it drives me bonkers to see some of them marked as 'original' when all that has been done is to set a traditional pattern like churn & dash on point an give it a special color scheme and a new name! And I'm suppose to ask permission and give credit on my quilt label...sorry that doesn't count as "original" when it comes to copyright.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM

One of the original quilts that I made I received a PM from someone asking if they could duplicate it (hee hee ... I have no idea if it was you or not <g>). I said "I don't care". And I don't. It won't be exact as part of my quilt was a freehand drawn applique ... *I* couldn't duplicate it if I wanted!!! Can she come close - the general idea - sure she can - and more power to her if that is what she wants. Can she sell it? Sure she can, and again, more power to her as I have absolutely NO intention of making a pattern and selling it. Had that been my intention, I certainly would not have posted pictures here before I had a pattern ready to sell. Am I flattered? Yes, of course I am.

So ... on the off chance that it's one of mine ... go ahead and share a picture - I'd love to see it. And there is a good chance I'll like it (or portions of it) better than my original!!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM

You can copy any of my quilts and sell them wherever. Not that anybody would want to. I would be very flattered. I have (somewhere in my computer) a legal description of dos and don'ts when it comes to patterns and producing goods from them. . This is definitely a DO. Go forth and make as many quilts as you can.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annie68 View Post
Did you get her permission? Anything posted online or anywhere is copyrighted.

Not exactly. In order to qualify for copyright, it must be original work. Posting anywhere has nothing to do with it.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by x7lillies View Post
Not legally, actually. It's only copyright infringement if you're passing if off as your own while selling it. You can make anything you want for your own personal use. I could put the Nike swoosh on a pillow cover as long as it was just for my house. But the minute I tried to sell it, I'd be in trouble.
Copying is copying, whether you're using it for yourself or selling it. Nike's swoosh is protected as a tradmark.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Well, I think this conversation went a little nuts - I think someone took it out of context - answering your question though - I think it is very flattering - most of us are usually inspired by other quilts we have seen - if you love it that much - that is awesome.